How difficult is it to replace a bathroom extractor fan on timer on a light switch with a humidistat fan?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 100mm bathroom extractor fan that turns on with the light switch and then stays on with a timer for 60 seconds after the light switch is turned off. Would it be easy to replace it with a humidistat fan or would it need to be rewired? Also could a drawstring be attached to the new fan itself to turn it off if needed?

Thank you to anyone that can help!

Sponsored Links
I have a 100mm bathroom extractor fan that turns on with the light switch and then stays on with a timer for 60 seconds after the light switch is turned off.
They are usually adjustable to run on for up to thirty minutes.

Would it be easy to replace it with a humidistat fan
Yes.
Humidistat fans are not ideal in the UK because it is very humid (wet).

or would it need to be rewired?
No.

Also could a drawstring be attached to the new fan itself to turn it off if needed?
Some fans have a pull-cord switch.
If you mean one in the ceiling then obviously that will entail some rewiring.

I have a 100mm bathroom extractor fan that turns on with the light switch and then stays on with a timer for 60 seconds after the light switch is turned off. Would it be easy to replace it with a humidistat fan or would it need to be rewired? Also could a drawstring be attached to the new fan itself to turn it off if needed?

Thank you to anyone that can help!

The fact that you have an overrun suggests that you have both a switched live and permanent live running in.

With regards to pull cords @EFLImpudence might be able to offer more advice. You might be able to use it with the permanent live to disable the humidistat, but AFAIK, they are only used to isolate one of the supplies, rather than the permlive and the switched live.

I have two humidistat fans at home, one was about £70 at the time of purchase. It has been pretty reliable thus far but will kick in on warm humid nights, the other one was about £150, it has a humidistat and PIR. The latter either sees dead people or invisible moisture.

They are usually adjustable to run on for up to thirty minutes.

Yes.
Humidistat fans are not ideal in the UK because it is very humid (wet).

No.

Some fans have a pull-cord switch.
If you mean one in the ceiling then obviously that will entail some rewiring.
Could a pull cord be added to this fan?
1727272150997.png

Sponsored Links
The fact that you have an overrun suggests that you have both a switched live and permanent live running in.
Yes.

With regards to pull cords @ EFLImpudence might be able to offer more advice. You might be able to use it with the permanent live to disable the humidistat, but AFAIK, they are only used to isolate one of the supplies, rather than the permlive and the switched live.
Well, yes, it could be wired to do whatever you want.

Could a pull cord be added to this fan?
What do you mean by added to?

In the fan or on the ceiling?

Do most average 100mm bathroom extraction fans have a hole and a pull cord that can be fitted into the fan?
No. You would have to use some ingenuity and work out how to do it to your chosen fan.
"Average" fans are built to the lowest price and (therefore) lowest feature list. You have to shell out much more to do everything.

ICON fans, for instance, start off with a basic fan and then you mix and match modules to make up various options.
See here https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Ventilation_Index/Aidelle_Icon_Fans/index.html

The various modules are at the bottom of the page.

The fan duct is attached to a wall between the bathroom and bedroom and the fan needs a full proof way to be turned off as the noise can heard in the spare bedroom and makes it impossible for sleeping

Isolators are very helpful in that situation.

And that's the solution in a nutshell.

If there is loft above then a pull cord isolator should be relatively easy to fit

You should also be aware that humid stat fans are notorious for being difficult to set up reliably and thus could be prone to going off at any time

You should also be aware that humid stat fans are notorious for being difficult to set up reliably and thus could be prone to going off at any time

Mine goes off from time to time but it doesn't bother me. If it did, I would just change the jumper setting an have it run a quieter, slower speed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back