How do aluminium double glazed windows drain when the seals get old?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last year I painted the exterior of my mum's home. I now need to paint the lounge. There are water stains below the window sills in the room. I suspect that rain water landing on the windows is leaking in to the interior walls.

I am aware that uPVC windows have weep holes to let the water out, what about ali windows?

The ali windows were fitted into the old sliding sash boxes. I guess that they are 30-40 years old.

mum window.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Aluminium frames fitted into the old boxes, hmmm not really a fan of that but it is what it is. Hard to tell whether it's odd leg or even leg alu profile and where the drainage is meant to be, some of the old ali systems just had a milled slot just under the bead where you'd put a knife in to remove the bead and then the bead itself would have a cut out in it corresponding with the notch in the frame, I guess the only option is to remove the glass and take a peek, that'll tell you whether the window is actually drained or not, this old stuff was very weird, firms did all sorts of crazy things back then, like fitting into existing boxes lol.

Sponsored Links
Yeah I'll second what Crank is saying , old Ali seemed to be an odd case... most Ali these days drains the same as pvc , either face drain or base drain. Best suggestion is Cranks , remove glass and see where the drainage goes lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back