how do I fix a socket back box into a stud wall?

T

teddyb

I've cut a hole where I want to put a new double socket, but there's nothing there to fix it to! Do I have to make a really big hole to find some supports or is there a clever way that I don't know about yet? :(

Sponsored Links
you dont.

you have (by the sounds of it) the wrong box

you can get ones with big "flaps / tags" (forgot the right word) designed for mouting in plasterboard

found it, here you go

oher suppliers are available

Thank you! I shall go out and get the right box tomorrow! Cheers.

Sponsored Links
use a drywall back box.

like this,
boxdl8.jpg

Thanks. In another room there is a lath and plaster wall. Can I use the same sort of drywall box here or is there something else?

Its normally ok to use cavity boxes on lath and plaster walls but do cut it out neatly.

those boxes can be fitted on lath and plaster but cutting the hole requires great care (its very easy to break the laths away from the plaster by mistake and end up with a very messy hole that doesn't have the strength for fitting one.

Or, find a stud & drill it out to fit a flush box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back