How do you do tiled skirting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have tiled my conservatory and I now need to fit tiled skirting.
The tiles are 450x450. I could easily get 4 pieces around 10-11cm high from each tile, but I haven’t found a way to clean cut them using my wet saw.
I’m going to get a dry tile cutter, but I’m wondering how this is normally done.

Is it better to just get 2 pieces out of each tile and put the cut edge below, leaving the factory cut edge at the top?

Sponsored Links
Surely one would ideally choose to fit a tiling trim strip to hide the cut edges and fill any small gaps with grout?

Nice long straight cuts are probably easier to score and snap rather than wet cut?
(Although a straight cut against a fixed fence ought to be simple enough.)

Any cut edges will need hand filing off to be anywhere near as smooth as the edges of a whole tile.

Sponsored Links
Surely one would ideally choose to fit a tiling trim strip to hide the cut edges and fill any small gaps with grout?

Nice long straight cuts are probably easier to score and snap rather than wet cut?
(Although a straight cut against a fixed fence ought to be simple enough.)

Any cut edges will need hand filing off to be anywhere near as smooth as the edges of a whole tile.
The trims don’t really hide the edge, the ones I’ve seen hide the cut surface, but any small chip or irregularity in the cut would still be visible unless there is a small part of the trim that covers the surface of the tile by 1-2mm.

Is it better to just get 2 pieces out of each tile and put the cut edge below, leaving the factory cut edge at the top?
This if you need perfection. Sometimes you can use offcuts left over from other areas to do the skirting as they will have a factory edge.

If you do want to get 4 pieces out of a tile then bear in mind that no-one will get on their knees to examine the cut edge of a tile with a magnifying glass, as suggested a tile trim will cover the top edge and any imperfections get taken up in a small grout line between the tile and the trim.

The trims don’t really hide the edge, the ones I’ve seen hide the cut surface, but any small chip or irregularity in the cut would still be visible unless there is a small part of the trim that covers the surface of the tile by 1-2mm.
You need to select the correct trim

If it’s 20£/piece, I’m not using a tile trim. It’s cheaper to just sacrifice more tiles.
If you're doing it on the cheap, just leave the wall tiles to meet the floor or use painted pallet wood as skirting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back