How important is the exact part number in a replacement bumper?

Reaction score
Country
Czech Republic
Dear community,

I need to replace the rear bumper of my Golf 8. I was looking for some matching replacement bumpers online to see if I can save some money instead of having to go through the painting process in a garage on a new bumper. I ffound some possible matches, but upon checking the part number with that of my own bumper, the last three digits change. And I am wondering how important is that? This replacement bumper I found online has slightly different styling (witgh some chrome details, which if you ask me seems like an upgrade), but the color is the same, and it is also for the Golf 8 hatchback. In principle, should the bumpers for the same cars match the fit, regardless of decorative detailings? What are the risks of me picking this replacement part online?

Clearly not much of a car guy, so I'd appreciate the help.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I don't know much about VW part numbers. However, based on interactions with other car companies, part numbers can change for a lot of different reasons. They can change (for example) because the part has been made in a different factory, or because there has been a revision to the material used (even though the fit and function will be identical). Obviously, to be certain that the part will fit, you need the same part number, but if MIGHT still fit if the part number is different. All you can do, is ask the supplier.

I would think that if the part number is different, even by a single figure, then the part will be different in some significant way. These car companies alter components in subtle ways to accomodate slightly different manufacturing techniques and to accomodate "facelift" changes.

Join the UK VW forum, be nice and polite, there are some knowledgeable people on there, a bit like here, but they don't suffer fools.

Be wary of online breakers - most will state in their small print that body parts "will usually need paint repairs"

Also, if it's used, they'll usually strip any reflectors, trims etc off so you'll be stuck if yours don't fit.

I think last 3 digits may be the colour code so quite important. If the bumpers not a write off a smart repair might be more economical.

Sponsored Links
I would think that if the part number is different, even by a single figure, then the part will be different in some significant way. These car companies alter components in subtle ways to accomodate slightly different manufacturing techniques and to accomodate "facelift" changes.
The number difference may be significant, or negligible.

Awkward to find out it's significant though, until you get it and find out the difference

No knowledge of VW specifically but often the same part# will be used on other models in the manufacture's range.
Sometimes the same component will be used by another manuf. albeit under a different # certainly for mechanical/electrical parts anyway.

There are sites where cross-referencing is possible, or there certainly used to be, but I'm not able to point you in that direction .. it's been too long :unsure:

Back