How is this tap connected?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey folks!

I've some really old taps in our kitchen that I would like to replace.

I'm sure a super basic question, but could someone please tell me how these are connected? I don't want to jump in cutting or turning and not have what I need to finish the job... or make it more complicated than it needs to be!

I've attached a picture of one of the taps

Would the tap screw off ?

Or is it soldered? The elbow piece of pipe looks completely smooth. The tap itself has a hex pattern to get a good grip on, but the pipe itself doesn't.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• PXL_20240528_071420672.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
    PXL_20240528_071420672.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 89
  • PXL_20240528_072617418.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20240528_072617418.PORTRAIT.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 79
  • PXL_20240528_072649156.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20240528_072649156.PORTRAIT.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 77
  • PXL_20240528_072938234.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20240528_072938234.PORTRAIT.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 85
Sponsored Links
1. Yes, it unscrews.
2. They are likely to be really tight, so when unscrewing:
2.1 Make sure you hold the wall mounted elbows really securely with grips, or better still an "F" type adjustable spanner, to prevent the elbow pulling off the wall and damaging the pipe.
2.2 Pour very hot water over the joint before unscrewing to try and expand / loosen the grip of the thread.

Grand, thank you!

I presume using a small kitchen torch to heat it up before unscrewing could help? (Using a candle as a 'canary' to avoid overheating)

Also, this may sound a bit bonkers, but I presume there is no issue swapping these out for garden taps? ... What I called a kitchen is really more of a utility space (house doesn't actually have a kitchen yet ;-p )... there's a window by the sink out to the back, so for connecting a hose outside this would be ideal for both cold and hot when it comes to cleaning jobs and scrubbing down outside..

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Also, this may sound a bit bonkers, but I presume there is no issue swapping these out for garden taps? ...
Heating the fitting could help them release yes, as suggested use a pair of grips/vice grips to hold the fitting while use a pair of adjustable on the tap itself.

No reason not to use outside taps - they are old bib taps already, though you will get a pair of chrome bib taps quite cheaply anyway and they are obviously marked for hot n cold etc.

If it's not a dumb question - why are you wanting to change the tap - if it ain't broken, why fix it.

If it's not a dumb question - why are you wanting to change the tap - if it ain't broken, why fix it.
I've already tried reseating the taps, a lot better but still the cold water tap has a tendency to drip without herculean efforts to turn the tap off.

Also, being able to more readily attach a hose would be handy, I have a bit of an awkward internal bit of the garden and my only external tap is on the other side of the building necessitating long hose runs, so two birds, one stone was the thought.

I've already tried reseating the taps, a lot better but still the cold water tap has a tendency to drip without herculean efforts to turn the tap off.

Also, being able to more readily attach a hose would be handy, I have a bit of an awkward internal bit of the garden and my only external tap is on the other side of the building necessitating long hose runs, so two birds, one stone was the thought.
Makes sense

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back