How is water getting in shed ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I absolutely can't fathom how this water is getting into my potting shed. The outside is sound with no visible way water can get in. I have felt underneath the bench and can't feel any water of moisture. I know the putty in the glass is a bit poor (my bad) BUT from the inside there are no signs of it coming from that with runs or drips. It just seems to pool where you can see which defies logic and physics as the outside has a wooden overhang. I tell you, nearly all my diy issues are with water being where it shouldn't. It's exasperating.

Attachments

• IMG_20241016_141108.jpg
    IMG_20241016_141108.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20241016_141136.jpg
    IMG_20241016_141136.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 29
Sponsored Links
I'd guess water is running down the window panes, and then running back on itself.......seal the left and right gap next to that vertical piece of timber.
John :)

I'd guess water is running down the window panes, and then running back on itself.......seal the left and right gap next to that vertical piece of timber.
John :)
Thanks John but I can't see any evidence of it running down from anywhere. When I had perspex just sitting on the wood with tacks holding it on (no sealant) I had no issues with capillary action. It seems installing glass and putty has caused so many problems.

Capillary action is the reason and as Burnerman said you need to seal under the glass. The green mould / algae shows that moisture is getting behind the glass too so that would be a good point to start and see how it fares.

Sponsored Links
I absolutely can't fathom how this water is getting into my potting shed. The outside is sound with no visible way water can get in. I have felt underneath the bench and can't feel any water of moisture. I know the putty in the glass is a bit poor (my bad) BUT from the inside there are no signs of it coming from that with runs or drips. It just seems to pool where you can see which defies logic and physics as the outside has a wooden overhang. I tell you, nearly all my diy issues are with water being where it shouldn't. It's exasperating.
I feel your pain. I too have no end of problems with water in one way or another. It should be banned!

can you show me a picture off the outside off the glazing where it meets the cladding below the glazing??
i fixed my neighbour's shed leak as the glazing was set back and any water running down the window met the back off the cladding[glazing overlapped and fixed to cladding back] as no cill was fitted

I can assure you there is absolutely no water running down from the glass anywhere inside. No traces as completely dry but it seeps in as you can see. Even outside I can't see any evidence and it's only this one area out of 4 panes. So frustrating.

Here is a better shot of the exterior taken 5 years ago showing the overhang

Attachments

• I0000002.JPG
    I0000002.JPG
    406.3 KB · Views: 12
We can all discuss this from now until Xmas but you need to actually try something to stop it so start with sealing under the glass, if that doesn't work then consider looking at the putty and perhaps replacing it with sealant which , to be honest, is probably better for a shed given they are generally prone to movement with people and wind unlike house glazing. Keep eliminating possible causes until you fix it or it may just be you have a Woodlouse with a bed wetting problem.

Taking the putty out would be a monumental task and sealing the bottom difficult also. I have used sealent in the past and water still got in. I could paint the putty with the same Dulux weathwrseal to fill the gaps.

Have someone spray the outside with a hosepipe, whilst you're inside watching fir the stream of water coming in. Start at the bottom and work your way up. Take your time. Yes, it will be soaked but at least you'll know where the leak is. It'll dry out, then you can fix it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back