How 'smooth' to be able to skim?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm looking at removing the tiles in the kitchen and then re-tiling. Obvs, as I remove the tiles the walls will be very rough with areas of previous tile adhesive and areas of missing plaster beneath. Would a plasterer be able to skim over this lot to provide me with a smooth surface ready for new tiles or for ease, would he likely dot n dab board it first and then skim?
I don't want the hassle of trying to remove everything back to brick but obviously by adding board, I'm losing another half inch each wall, of space to it my new units.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
A decent plasterer should be able to overcome this.

A decent plasterer should be able to overcome this.
What, by applying bonding first to bring the surfaces to somewhere level and then skim, I assume?
My last experience, perhaps he wasn't a 'good' plasterer, simply boarded the whole lot. Had a panick as thought the kitchen wouldn't fit. Luckily, was OK, just, in the end.

Sponsored Links
What, by applying bonding first to bring the surfaces to somewhere level and then skim, I assume?
Exactly this. Should be able to keep it tight then as opposed to losing more than necessary. Or remove the tile adhesive if possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back