How to adjust "tilt" of door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a composite door with a multi-point lock. It's started to get very stiff when trying to engage the lock. I've taken a look and can see the cause of the problem - the inside face of the top hook and outside face of the bottom hook are really scratched so it appears that the door is tilting slightly. As a short term fix, I've sparingly put some bike chain lube on the faces of the hooks and as you can see from the picture of the hook "socket" in the frame I can't adjust them in & out, but can anyone point me to some advice on how to fix it properly?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• lock_socket.png
    lock_socket.png
    500.5 KB · Views: 148
Sponsored Links
I would guess it's the hinges that need adjusting, maybe the top one moved back a bit.
usually some adjustment certainly on UPVC doors I suspect composite ones are similar, if you can post some pics of the hinges someone should be able to talk you through it.

Sponsored Links
As footprints, the pins are normally offset like the 3rd picture, turning with an Allen key will move the hinge in and out left and right if turned right through 360°

In and out are the only way you can adjust those keeps! (by the allen key heads on your 1st pic)
The cams are oval shaped and they both need turning the same amount (so the lines are pointing in the same direction).

I'm assuming what you mean is the problem is that the keeps are in the max adjustment of the direction you need to turn them?

If so what you need to do is unscrew the keeps from the frame and re-screw them further over in the direction you need (you may need to file a bit out of the frame to be able to move them over).

3 top tips:
1st is the door under guarantee? If so get the fitters to come back and sort it.
2nd take out the keeps out 1 at a time and try locking the door, This will reveal if its just one or more keeps that are causing the problem.
3rd once the door is sorted make sure you engage the hooks every time you close the door even if you dont key lock it, This prevents the door from warping. Dark doors that get alot of sun are the ones most liable to warping but what ever color not using the locks could invalidate any guarentee.

Thanks for the responses - I didn't get a chance to check over the weekend, but will give it a shot - will also try to find the fitters. It was supplied as part of some building work, and the supplier / fitter was contracted directly by the builder so don't know if they'll honour it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back