How to brace a feature brick wall to wall plate for a vaulted roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm building a small side return kitchen extension with an approx 1m high vaulted timber roof under permitted development. My structural engineer said there is no need to use collar ties on the roof. Our building inspector will return once the roof is built.

One of my cavity walls has been built with a block outer leaf and a reclaimed stock brick inner leaf as a feature wall.
Because the inner leaf is built up in bricks that are showing, installing straps to the wall plate would look pretty ugly. Had the inner leaf been built in block you would simply render over the straps. By the way I was advised not to fix the wall plate straps inside the cavity.
My builder put half bricks where the straps were to go with the aim of hiding the straps with brick slips later on but I'm not liking the strength of that idea.
Also my plans state a timber ridge beam made up of two 175mm x 50mm C24 joists bolted together with M8 grade 8.8 bolts at 450mm centres with dog toothed connectors.

So my question is, is there an alternative to bracing the wall plate to the brick wall feature?
1. Can I sink each end of the wall plate into the existing building walls and cement them in?
2. Can I fit the wall plate straps horizontally to the wall plate and then to the existing building wall?
3. Drill into the wall plate and into the brick vertically from above?
A combination of all three or some other option?

I've attached a picture of the wall missing the wall plate here to help.
And a YT video with a similar project and problem at 32:40 mins.

20240809_113255.jpg

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back