How to find suitable fence/gate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Hoping some can advice and with some links please.
I have absolutely no clue how to go about this but willing to learn.
We need a fence and gate with a total length if 2m with gate not being any longer than 1.4 and the fence being 0.6 metres.
Please see photos, basically just to mirror our neighbours fence and gate. So on the map picture the gate to be in the 1.4m area and the fence to be in the 0.5m area. Same as the neighbours.
However, please can someone help with some links of suitable gates/fences as I have no idea wether to buy a little fence and a separate gate and attach them or a gate that has part of a fence attached?

Same height about as the neighbours.

Not really bothered how the gate and fence looks, just whatever is cheapest although would prefer one like the yellow fence without holes though it.
Would actually have preferred a metal fence and gate but that might be more expensive and be more difficult.

I have been quoted £400 for someone to supply and fit but that's alot of money to me. As you can see clearly am not in a affluent property.
So hoping to try and atleast source the fence and gate and then try and find someone who knows how to install the fence and gate at a more reasonable cost.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240618_210323_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240618_210323_Photos.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 55
  • Screenshot_20240618_210252_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240618_210252_Photos.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 46
Sponsored Links
I have been quoted £400 for someone to supply and fit but that's alot of money to me. As you can see clearly am not in a affluent property.
So hoping to try and atleast source the fence and gate and then try and find someone who knows how to install the fence and gate at a more reasonable cost.

Buy a hammer, a saw, a pencil and some nails. Track down some used pallets, and making the gate and fence yourself - is the cheapest option, and it's not difficult.

Buy a hammer, a saw, a pencil and some nails. Track down some used pallets, and making the gate and fence yourself - is the cheapest option, and it's not difficult.

Honestly it would be very difficult for me as I don't do DIY at all.
So would appreciate alot some links.

Harry's right; it really is the cheapest option. If you can't diy then search for an odd-job chap to assemble the wood and fit it out.

Sponsored Links
Honestly it would be very difficult for me as I don't do DIY at all.

Maybe time you learned some basic DIY then? Knocking a bit of fence, and a gate together is probably one of the easiest things you could possibly tackle, and it doesn't really mater if it's not perfect.

So would appreciate alot some links.

There can be no links, because what you want, needs to be custom-built, to suit your layout. Paying someone to custom-build anything, dramatically adds to the cost, and so much better with something as simple as this, to look at DIY'ing.

Can I just goto b and q and ask them?
What I would like to do it buy the fence and gate myself but can you buy just a bit of fence 0.6 metres or can I buy a gate and ask b and q to add 0.6 metres of fence to it so it will fit?

If you want to know what B&Q will do for you then you need to ask B&Q, but I doubt they will.
What they might have, is a pin board with business cards of local tradesmen.

Would be a good job for a local handyman/landscaper type, £50 for materials inc gate fittings/posts, and a day of his time?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back