How to finish bottom of fence off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm after ideas for tidying this up please
We're part way through laying a new patio and have had to dig a fair bit of garden out (30t to be precise) and are now left with our neighbours fence being considerably higher than our garden.
I need to make up approx 400mm on the higher patio and 500mm on the lower patio with a total length of 14.5m
My idea is to use 4.8m decking boards as a sort of gravel board. There'll need to be 3 or 4 on top of each other fixed to existing posts and spurs in-between. Decking is thicker and I'm assuming therefore stringer than gravel board so won't bow so much

does anyone have a better idea thanks
20240703_200317.jpg

Sponsored Links
Gravel boards are OK. Screw into the posts with hex-headed screws (coach screws) with washers under so you can easily replace them. Timber in contact with the ground will rot. You could top with matching slabs if you have any, or a miniature evergreen hedge, or stone chippings.

its worth noting that by eroding the ground by 4-500mm you are reducing the support to the posts so may cause a fence stability issue as a 1800mm fence would have perhaps 20-33% under the ground meaning virtually no support
now i assume the spurs where added at some stage for support but unless deep enough may cause problems with high ground or wind load

but purely a guess :unsure:

Sponsored Links
The wooden fence posts are all knackered. It blew over last year and was repaired with spurs.
Unfortunately the fence was installed before we moved here hence us having the crap side. The people who lived here before us had attached another fence on our side to the same posts adding god knows how much weight which has all been removed now.

We haven't taken 4-500mm out it's nearer 1-150 but 400 takes us up to the bottom rail

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back