How to fix damp plaster behind tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just been cleaning up to redo the sealant around my bath and 3 of the surrounding tiles that had loose grout above them (there is a shower head that sprays into this area) have come off.
The plaster behind is damp, I have scraped off the wet stuff leaving solid (but damp) plaster behind.
The other tiles seem to be well adhered and not wanting to come off so I'm looking to leave them as is.

What are my options to repair this patch? I'm not looking to replace the whole wall, just repair these 3 (we do plan on a complete bathroom redo in the future).

Can I dry it or is it likely that far gone that I should dig it out until I reach dryness and then add new plaster?
Or can I dig it out a bit and then screw in some board to plaster onto?

The tiles have cleaned up easily ready to re affix.
I understand I am best using waterproof adhesive for this.

1723292668080.png

Sponsored Links
It may be but at the moment I just need to repair this damp patch.

Like I said, I am not looking to redo the entire wall - just repair this patch.

The whole wall can be redone when we get a new bathroom fitted.

As an update, I have removed a couple to the left and got to the dry plaster behind, it may be damp behind to the right but the tiles are still sticking there.

Is there a adhesive that will stick to wet plaster at all? things have moved on a lot from there not being, I see adverts every now and again where they stick to wet surfaces.

Sponsored Links
I have scraped back the Grey plaster to reveal some pink that is still a little damp to touch but not as damp as the grey was.
I think I'll have to go buy a full sheet of cement board, cut then screw that on and tile to it.

I ended up using my multitool to scrape off several mm of the old plaster and have affixed a cement board strip to it.

It really depends what is below and how long it's going to be until it's remedied permanently

I had a similar situation and made do with gaffer tape for 18 months

Regards

Tet

Once the adhesive, grout and silicone has dried, it will last long enough for me.
We need a shower, this is the quickest I can repair it.

Just waiting until I can grout tomorrow, I'll seal around the bath afterwards.

I think what you've done will be fine, given that you intend on revamping the bathroom in the future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back