How to insulate a single-skin detached garage wall? (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks. So I know that there are various opinions on how to do this job, but that is my problem (based in the UK).

1. Some say you MUST build a stud wall first and if you do you need to ensure weep holes or insert vented bricks to the outside wall to avoid condensation between the wall and the DPM attached to the back of the stud wall.

2. Then others appear to do the same minus any mention of weep holes or ventilation bricks.

3. Others make no mention of stud walls but rather say, attach vertical battens to the wall, and squeeze in some Kingspan or Cerotex between batterns so this is directly touching the external wall. Then, cover this insulation with a vapor barrier to prevent warm air from leaving the room and put eg OSB on to finish.

4. Others make no mention of stud walls but rather say, attach horizontal battens to the wall, and attach some Kingspan or Cerotex onto the front of the batterns. (This leaves an air gap between the cold side of the Kingspan and the wall) cover this with a vapor barrier to prevent warm air from leaving the room and put eg OSB on to finish.

5. No stud walls, no Kingspan or PIR but use eg DIY Ecohome insulation kits (vertical battens and a staple gun).

6. ???

I am very confused. Can anyone help clarify this mess? Many thanks if you can.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
DIYNot.png

You are more likely to get help if you post in the appropriate section. The Moderators can move this for you. Click on 'Report' to ask for that.

duplicates merged. please do not duplicate your threads.
Hi folks. So I know that there are various opinions on how to do this job, but that is my problem (based in the UK).

1. Some say you MUST build a stud wall first and if you do you need to ensure weep holes or insert vented bricks to the outside wall to avoid condensation between the wall and the DPM attached to the back of the stud wall.

2. Then others appear to do the same minus any mention of weep holes or ventilation bricks.

3. Others make no mention of stud walls but rather say, attach vertical battens to the wall, and squeeze in some Kingspan or Cerotex between batterns so this is directly touching the external wall. Then, cover this insulation with a vapor barrier to prevent warm air from leaving the room and put eg OSB on to finish.

4. Others make no mention of stud walls but rather say, attach horizontal battens to the wall, and attach some Kingspan or Cerotex onto the front of the batterns. (This leaves an air gap between the cold side of the Kingspan and the wall) cover this with a vapor barrier to prevent warm air from leaving the room and put eg OSB on to finish.

5. No stud walls, no Kingspan or PIR but use eg DIY Ecohome insulation kits (vertical battens and a staple gun).

6. ???

I am very confused. Can anyone help clarify this mess? Many thanks if you can.

DIYNot.png

You are more likely to get help if you post in the appropriate section. The Moderators can move this for you. Click on 'Report' to ask for that.

Sponsored Links
Hi. I did as you suggested. I simply got a notification that the post had been moved. No link nor notice of where to, so not too much use.

If you click on the post in Your Content then it will take you to it and you can see what group it is in.

Presumably you just asked the mods to move it and did not specify a group. Picking the appropriate group would have been more useful.

If the wall is not damp, I'd bond PIR to the wall or use insulation screws/mushrooms to fix it tight to the wall. If you tape up the joints with aluminium ducting tape, this is then the vapour barrier.

You can also fix battens to the walls and screw insulation onto this, or use battens to hold PIR to the wall then you have a batten to fix the plasterboard and a void for cables.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back