How to know how much to straighten wall when boarding out?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Sure this is a standard-practice bit of info but I’m at a loss after searching online and YouTube for exactly what I need.

We have a corner in a room that’s out by anything between 5-10cm, and we’ll soon be installing some base units against one of those walls. The dishwasher needs to be in the corner, hence the need for being better than it is currently - ours is a cottagey style building in places, so not fussed elsewhere!

We’re putting up plasterboard to bring it closer to 90’, and wondered if anyone can give me advice on how to calculate how much one the end of one wall needs to be packed out. Hoping there’s a quick and dirty equation to figure it out…

All else fails I know we could sort the worst by eye, and/or mitigate with filler panels and have it sat further away from the corner but I’d rather have a go at doing it more neatly first.

Ta.

Sponsored Links
Draw a 345 triangle on the floor
Measure 3 feet along the wall you want to be square to. 4 feet along the wall that's out. 5 feet on the hypotenuse part to form a triangle.

The resulting square corner of the triangle will be exactly 90 degrees. Then batten out / dot and dab as required your plasterboard along that line to make the news wall façade

Draw a 345 triangle on the floor
Measure 3 feet along the wall you want to be square to. 4 feet along the wall that's out. 5 feet on the hypotenuse part to form a triangle.

The resulting square corner of the triangle will be exactly 90 degrees. Then batten out / dot and dab as required your plasterboard along that line to make the news wall façade

Yup, Pythagoras.

Sponsored Links
Buy a sheet of hardboard and cut 2 corners off to make giant triangles ( set squares )
Use them in the corner to find the 90 degrees.
Use screws in wall to act as stops for when you push board to wall. Board will rest on screw heads.
Use something like wood for a straight edge to get all the screws at correct height ready for board.
Dot and dab walls.

can give me advice on how to calculate how much one the end of one wall needs to be packed out.
Surely you only need the back wall to be straight to accommodate the row of units and appliances, and then scribe any worktop to the corner, and fit a filler piece at the front of the end unit if the corner angle is obtuse?

You can maybe pinch a tiny bit when the PB goes up, but I'm with @^woody^ - fit the long run of units straight, scribe the WT to the wall if necessary (if it isn't straight) and lose the angle in the WT joint and where the cabinets meet. Be aware that corner cabinets make it harder to fiddle the angle.

Hi all, thank you so much. I’d had a stab at the 3-4-5 but struggled with adjusting the triangle I’d drawn to ensure it was square, the wall we’re ruling off of is also stone walling (wall is built straight, though with some undulation). As it turned out our builder had popped over for something else and took pity on my scrawlings and left behind their folding square for me to use - legends! Far easier to run it up the wall in several points to get an average, have already marked up and will be banging up the new wall today.

Thanks again, super grateful for how everyone comes back so quickly on here :)

L

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back