How to make the paper card waterproof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I want to attach a small paper card on a little fruit tree in my garden and would like to know how to make the card waterproof?

Thank you so much.

Sponsored Links
Thank you London Mike 49!
If you think I can do that myself, can you tell me how?
If that is not so easy, can you tell me where to do the laminating?

Sponsored Links
Thank you Burnerman!

I have just visited the Tesco webpage and found that the laminators are for A4 papers?
1. Can I use it to make a smaller paper of 10cm x 5cm?
2. Can it prevent water comes from the edge?

The average cheapo laminating machine deals with A4 size paper, and the laminating pockets are slightly bigger so that the edges of the paper are sealed.
You can laminate any smaller size you like, and then trim to fit - but do allow a few mm all the way round to ensure sealing. The heat from the laminating machine gives a watertight seal.
Eventually UV light does fade the original script but it lasts long enough.
John :)

I use a laminator for notices on a board. I find it an advantage to trim the paper a few mm all round to get a good seal on the edges of the pocket. Be aware that if it you fasten it with a pin, screw or nail, it must go in a corner away from the card so that the hole is in the seal, and even then, water is liable to penetrate. Your laminator may be adjustable for heat or speed. The hotter or slower it runs, the better the seal, until the pocket starts to wrinkle, when you have gone too far.

You can buy credit card sized laminate pouches that are quite firm.
And the machines to fit.

Maybe buy just the pouches and try using a domestic iron to seal it. But cover the pouch in a bit of folded paper so the iron doesn't touch the plastic. Move the iron and try one minute.

The machines use a mechanised rubber roller to slowly drag the pouch over the heat source, or use heated rollers.

Cut the paper small enough for a border and allow for a hole to be punched through only the plastic

Thanks a lot for all your kindly suggestions!
And I am so sorry, I changed my mind now: I hope the notice board remain as long as possible, say 20 years.
Can I engrave the notice (only two lines) on a small laminate flooring board?
In outside, can a laminate flooring board last 20 years?

If you have an engraver then nice labels can be made from short lengths of copper tube, split, flattened and corners rounded off.....The mutts nuts of labels:)
litl

That coloured engraved material is often called Traffolyte. Plenty of online companies that could make the sign for you if you put that in google.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back