How to polish and make cut edges good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a wet saw with a new Rubi diamond disc, but it doesn’t leave a nice clean cut on my tiles.
How can I polish the edges, possibly using something I can attach to my multitool or angle grinder?

Sponsored Links
You can dress the tile edges with a carborundum stone.

I assume that you are using porcelain tiles.

If you are not getting a clean cut- something is wrong somewhere. Which wet bed saw do you have?
I am using porcelain. The wet saw is a Erbauer ERB337TCB and a new Rubi disc; I’ve read many have a similar problem with this tool

Is a carborundum stone the same that comes with a chisel sharpening kit? If so, I’ve tried it but it takes quite a while to get a decent result

Attachments

• IMG_6919.jpeg
    IMG_6919.jpeg
    262.5 KB · Views: 30
I am using porcelain. The wet saw is a Erbauer ERB337TCB and a new Rubi disc; I’ve read many have a similar problem with this tool

Is a carborundum stone the same that comes with a chisel sharpening kit? If so, I’ve tried it but it takes quite a while to get a decent result

Wow, that is a really rough cut. Are you feeding the tile through too quickly? I have used the Rubi porcelain disks on many occasions and have never had a problem with them. Admittedly, I am using an old RUBI ND180 wet bed saw.

I only tile a couple of times year. When it comes down to it, a decent blade on an angle grinder should provide a better quality of cut- albeit- way dustier.

Sponsored Links
Wow, that is a really rough cut. Are you feeding the tile through too quickly? I have used the Rubi porcelain disks on many occasions and have never had a problem with them. Admittedly, I am using an old RUBI ND180 wet bed saw.

I only tile a couple of times year. When it comes down to it, a decent blade on an angle grinder should provide a better quality of cut- albeit- way dustier.
That one in the picture was my first attempt. Feeding it slower helps, but it isn’t perfect. I also noticed a slight improvement by cutting the tile upside down with an offcut below it (so that the two face each other); I find I can move it more smoothly and maybe the change in height helps a bit.

With an angle grinder I wouldn’t be able to go straight enough for a cut that needs to be on show

That one in the picture was my first attempt. Feeding it slower helps, but it isn’t perfect. I also noticed a slight improvement by cutting the tile upside down with an offcut below it (so that the two face each other); I find I can move it more smoothly and maybe the change in height helps a bit.

With an angle grinder I wouldn’t be able to go straight enough for a cut that needs to be on show

Fair play.

I can cut a 400mm tile with less than 1mm deviance using an angle grinder, but it is really, really dusty. That said, not all blades are created equal. I am glad to read that you have worked out how to improve the quality of cut on your tiles, but from your first image, nah, you couldn't dress those to make them look good.

Oh, and the oil stone used to sharpen chisels will not tidy the edges on tiles...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back