how to remove Deeply embedded screws

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of upgrading a radiator and I'm hitting a bit of a headache when it comes to removing the supports for the old radiator. The screws tying them in are seriously locked, the previous owner having installed so I'm not sure what's going on.

Aside from using a drill to unscrew, I've tried drilling them out, but my metal drillbits aren't making much of a dent to the screws. I've also tried prying the bracket and screws out, but all that's done is dent the plasterwork.

My next thought would be to drill into the bracket to perforate it in a line and so give a way to remove the bracket at least. Howeve, that still leaves the issue of the screw heads protruding from the wall, which might interfere with fitting the bracket for the new radiator.

Before I continue my path of destruction, I figured I'd pop a post here to see if there was anything I could be doing better or of there was a simple fix im not aware of.

Thanks for any help

Chris

Attachments

• 20240711_140826.jpg
    20240711_140826.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 77
Sponsored Links
Bottom screw is a TORX head... Top head is possibly a Philips or maybe Pozidriv head. An impact driver with the correct bit(s) to suit the screw would likely have (had) those undone in moments?

But once the brackets are removed the screw head can probably be gripped with (say) mole grips to unscrew (left loosey, remember)... and any plasterwork damage filled, smoothed and painted. Mind I have managed to shear the heads off stuck in screws before now using similar methods.

You could try pincers under the screw head and the bracket to protect the plasterwork to lever the screw and plug out?

Or just attack with a bolster chisel to lever them out complete with wallplugs attached if lucky and blow the plasterwork. That can be repaired ;).

Sponsored Links
Can you unscrew with one hand whilst applying pulling pressure with the other? Is it a solid wall?

Thanks for all your responses.
I should have also mentioned that I'd tried an impact driver with the correct bits ;) (for both screw heads) and also tried alternating direction to see if that helped loose, but to no avail in both attempts.
On the other bracket, one of the screws actually came loose without issue and looking at it closer, it's got three grooves running across the threads in a gentle spiral down the screw (if that makes sense, but if not have a look at the pictures). The screw is also 80mm long and so I'm starting to think those grooves are creating biting points for the screw against all it has been driven into and making it much harder to draw out.

Attachments

• 20240711_220519.jpg
    20240711_220519.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 20240711_220541.jpg
    20240711_220541.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 58
if you really can't get them to turn, and note, tightening them further will probably just shear the heads off (which will be a win)
Drilling these screw heads can be very difficult due to the hardness of the steel, last resort.

I would just grind the heads off with a small angle grinder - not ideal but it would be quick and easy.

Chunky side cutters. Point of the cutters facing into the wall, handles towards you.
Grip the screw head and use the cutters as a screwdriver.
I have removed loads of stubborn screws this way.

If you ever try to drill out a screw, use a left-handed drill. Often the combination of heat, vibration and torque will wind it out.

I should have also mentioned that I'd tried an impact driver with the correct bits ;) (for both screw heads) and also tried alternating direction to see if that helped loose, but to no avail in both attempts.
On the other bracket, one of the screws actually came loose without issue and looking at it closer, it's got three grooves running across the threads in a gentle spiral down the screw (if that makes sense, but if not have a look at the pictures). The screw is also 80mm long and so I'm starting to think those grooves are creating biting points for the screw against all it has been driven into and making it much harder to draw ou

On the other bracket, one of the screws actually came loose without issue and looking at it closer, it's got three grooves running across the threads in a gentle spiral down the screw (if that makes sense, but if not have a look at the pictures). The screw is also 80mm long and so I'm starting to think those grooves are creating biting points for the screw against all it has been driven into and making it much harder to draw out.
It’s a concrete screw , needs a power screwdriver to remove , the rust will make initial movement more difficult .

Agreed - horrible things in my opinion but they do have their uses.
8 or 10 mm plugs for me every time where radiators are involved!
John :)

Resin - this week I couldn't get a 3 screws out of a wall unit hanging bracket, tried everything, i know, then the grinder. dot and dab onto ash block the screws were resined into the blockwork, you may have the same issue.

I find hitting the end with a lump hammer works, bit in a holder and hit a fair few times. You need to break the chemical bond of the rust.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back