How to remove sealant from Tiles, Grout and bath with damaging them?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We've just had a new bath installed (by a plumber) and new tiles tiled (by a tiler) down to the bath's top. The plumber has then applied sealant around the bath's edge and also applied sealant vertically from a corner of the bath, in the corner of the bathroom, up to the ceiling, this is the corner the shower hose/head will be located.
Unfortunately, the sealant has not been applied very well. It's uneven and I could do a better job myself. The applied sealant takes away the pleasantness of the new bathroom. It has to be removed and I will do it myself by placing tape either side to give a straight edge.
I've removed sealant before using a bendy stanley knife, however this was done against plain gloss white tiles (the cheap tiles from B&Q) and I couldn't tell if there was any damage to the tiles and it didn't matter if there was.
The new tile's surface feels a little grainy (it's not smooth like those cheap B&Q tiles) and is eggshell green - so it feels it has texture and is coloured. The grout is coloured too.
How do I remove this white sealant from the tiles, grout and bath without damaging anything (i.e. not scraping the top texture from the tiles, removing any colour form the tile, or ripping out chunks of grout)?
I think the sealant vertically in the corner will be removed and not replaced, so is there a method to remove that sealant without the concern of replacing the sealant afterwards?
Any help will be good. I have all the time to do this but I need to be sure to get the old sealant off without damage.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
And very sharp wood chisel .
I assume not by your suggestion but I will ask, wouldn't a very sharp wood chisel likely scratch the tiles? I visual the chisels point covering more surface area that a stanley knife.

Sponsored Links
I assume not by your suggestion but I will ask, wouldn't a very sharp wood chisel likely scratch the tiles? I visual the chisels point covering more surface area that a stanley knife.
Chisel will achieve angles not possible with a knife ( keep flat to tiles )and far more control with two hands on. Silicon remover only works on remnants left after majority is removed . I use 3/8” wood chisel .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back