How to repair this shower tiling? (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In a nutshell this is my mum’s bathroom. She said it’s been like this for a couple of years (she lives 3 hours away from us and we’ve come to as it’s the summer holidays so we’ve not realised how bad it’s been.)

She doesn’t have the money to fix it. Nor do I but I’d like an idea of where the hell we start with it. Im guessing the grout and silicone has let water in and then the tiles have fallen off. She’s continued to use the shower daily as her immersion heater has also broken
Im thinking of using aqua boards but obviously they’ll need something solid and dry to stick to.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 91B297DA-08D1-44D0-921B-0F18CCF7EA6F.jpeg
    91B297DA-08D1-44D0-921B-0F18CCF7EA6F.jpeg
    262.9 KB · Views: 52
  • E6FB084E-2AE7-4948-9299-E7717FDDA655.jpeg
    E6FB084E-2AE7-4948-9299-E7717FDDA655.jpeg
    324.4 KB · Views: 50
Sponsored Links
In a nutshell this is my mum’s bathroom. She said it’s been like this for a couple of years (she lives 3 hours away from us and we’ve come to as it’s the summer holidays so we’ve not realised how bad it’s been.)

She doesn’t have the money to fix it. Nor do I but I’d like an idea of where the hell we start with it. Im guessing the grout and silicone has let water in and then the tiles have fallen off. She’s continued to use the shower daily as her immersion heater has also broken
Im thinking of using aqua boards but obviously they’ll need something solid and dry to stick to.
Thanks in advance.
It's not unusual for the flex of the bath coupled with a well stuck silicone sealant, to pull the tiles immediately above the bath, off the wall. This can be mitigated of course, if done correctly.

Yours however, looks like a C.I. bath?

It's not unusual for the flex of the bath coupled with a well stuck silicone sealant, to pull the tiles immediately above the bath, off the wall. This can be mitigated of course, if done correctly.

Yours however, looks like a C.I. bath?
If by CI you mean cast iron, then no it’s actually just a big standard, plastic bath. Ah yes that could make sense actually!

You say the immersion heater is broken. Assuming you mean the immersion heater and not the cylinder it fits into, this may be a modest job for a plumber. If it is just the thermostat it may be a DIY job.

What colour is the cylinder? How tall is it?

Can you take a photo of it, and another of the plastic cap of the immersion heater, and its flex, and its switch.

How does the fault show itself?

Sponsored Links
You say the immersion heater is broken. Assuming you mean the immersion heater and not the cylinder it fits into, this may be a modest job for a plumber. If it is just the thermostat it may be a DIY job.

What colour is the cylinder? How tall is it?

Can you take a photo of it, and another of the plastic cap of the immersion heater, and its flex, and its switch.

How does the fault show itself?
I did try to reset it which unfortunately didn’t work, I’m guessing it’s probably the thermostat as opposed to the actual cylinder.

Oh dear, I don't wish to be alarmist but I don't think that you realise how serious the situation is. Whoever did that bathroom was either a cowboy or an ignorant DIYer because it certainly ain't right and what bothers me is the floor underneath the bath must be getting wet in which case it will eventually rot and collapse - please tell me that it isn't that bad because I really feel for you guys. Anyway, it is going to cost to get it right even if I were to come and do it for free because of the materials required. I can't of course because I am now too old. Is it possible that the local council or Age Concern might be approached to see if they can help in any way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back