How to reseal this cast iron soil stack spigot into ground

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Cast iron soil stack, at the point it goes into the ground the joint has deteriorated so there is a gap.

What do I put around this joint to reseal it please?

Attachments

• PXL_20240811_122000502.jpg
    PXL_20240811_122000502.jpg
    594.9 KB · Views: 40
Sponsored Links
Another photo attached. There was a crippled up piece of plastic stuffed down there which was covering up this pretty large gap. I can smell the drains now.

Attachments

• PXL_20240811_125827813.jpg
    PXL_20240811_125827813.jpg
    712.8 KB · Views: 39
In the gtound you have a hepsleeve clay pipe and the incorrect plastic connector - you're going to have to shorten the iron pipe and replace with plastic . a Mac alpine dc 1 into the hepsleeve and a rubber fernco type connector between the cast and the plastic

How old is the house?

It looks to me like it is a 90 year old house and the clay pipe in the ground has cracked, with a bodged repair.

More likely you will have to dig it out and do it properly.

Stand back and take a wider pic, showing the broken and cracked concrete and the foot of the wall, with any damp patches, and the nearest manhole.

Is your yard gulley also broken?

Sponsored Links
It is a 1930s house so yes 90 ish years old.

The repaired concrete around the soil stack is from a water pipe repair I had to get done last year. Here is a picture of this that I took at the time. You can see the soil stack bottom left of the photo, the clay pipe goes vertically downwards.

I don't know the circumstances by which the cast iron soil stack is now sitting atop the wrong type of socket. However whatever was done, was also done to the neighbours as their arrangement is the same.

We have a shared rodding point which you can see in the photo where the pipe is also cracked. It's not causing a problem though as it's only the rising portion for the rodding point and has now been concreted back in when they did the water pipe repair.

The yard gulley is in close proximity to the soil stack, but no signs of it being broken no. It's a bit of a mess and needs tidying up though.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240812-000104.png
    Screenshot_20240812-000104.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 35
Hepsleeve is at least 50 years younger than the iron pipe, so it is an existing repair.

Though I see some new replacement pipes so maybe it is not still leaking.

I've now packed the gap with some foam and mortared over it so hopefully be ok for a while?

It would be a nightmare digging out that drainage system as it's a narrow shared entryway to the back gardens. The sewer then goes underneath outbuildings where there is an outside toilet, before making it's way downhill through the back gardens of all the houses. No idea the path it takes.

However all that would be shared sewers so water company responsible for any repairs I think.

Attachments

• PXL_20240811_164322938.jpg
    PXL_20240811_164322938.jpg
    711 KB · Views: 20

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back