How to restore a flaking / peeling concrete step before painting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, please could I have some advice? I'm restoring my elderly mum's front door and step. The area is in a bit of a state of disrepair.

I would like to apply red masonry paint to the step. But how do I prepare the step first? The step appears to be concrete, distinct from the red sandstone surround.

You can see that the actual concrete forming the vertical back wall of the step has peeled / flaked away at the left side where the most footfall is.

How can I level the back of the step to the same depth or alternatively restore the peeled concrete by adding some kind of filler so that the step is smooth and ready for painting?

(In the photos, the draught excluder from the bottom of the door has been removed, exposing unpainted wood - this area is being sanded and painted separately)

Attachments

• 20240709_100750.jpg
    20240709_100750.jpg
    509.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 20240709_100756.jpg
    20240709_100756.jpg
    472.7 KB · Views: 33
Sponsored Links
Will always be a little damp so paint may not last.
I tiled one like that..
1000017638.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back