How to sort this gap between board and ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Looking for someone to critique my plan to sort this. Previous owners have had some board put on the wall, I think dot and dabbed, and then likely skimmed, or someone's done a very good tape and joint job. Unfortunately they decided to stop short of the pitched section of the ceiling and put a picture rail on. I believe they had some sort of LED strip in here before but it looks a mess and I want rid. My plan is:
1. Remove the old picture rail
2. Cut a thin strip of plasterboard the height of the gap between the wall and the ceiling directly above
3. Sand down the wall where the dabs will go
4. Apply watered down PVA
5. Dot and dab the board on
6. Tape and joint between the new board and the wall and the ceiling
7. Caulk the gap between the new board and the ceiling timber you can see in the image
8. Prime the new board
9. Paint

My main concerns/questions here are
1. Am I going to have issues with the board adhesive sticking to the painted surface, even after sanding and PVAing?
2. How good a finish am I likely to get taping and jointing? I'm not opposed to getting a plasterer in to skim over, in fact I may have to do this anyway as the existing board seems to be skimmed and think I'd struggle to get the dab&board thickness bang on to not have a lip?
3. Why would the previous owners have overboarded the wall rather than just skimming the existing? Only thing I can think of is maybe it's insulated board?
4. What on earth do you call the kind of ceiling I have? It's flat in the middle but angles down to the walls. I've never seen it anywhere else before?
5. Am I better off having a plasterer in to sort this? I can't image it's a massive job so I may be causing myself a lot of agg to save very little

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Attachments

• IMG_1723.jpg
    IMG_1723.jpg
    725.5 KB · Views: 24
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back