how to test if the feed is 32 amp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys

ive just bought a 30 amp air compressor to put in my garage but im not sure if the feed in to the garage is 30 amp and the fuse box is confusing because the garage was a later additon to the house.
the cable in to the garage is big enough to take 30amp as it is a garden armour plated thing

anyway i was just wondering is there anyway to test if the feed in to the garage is 32 amp or lower or im i going to have to call the electrican in?

cheers etie :evil:

Sponsored Links
im not sure if the feed in to the garage is 30 amp
You'll have to find out.
etie said:
and the fuse box is confusing because the garage was a later additon to the house.
Post a picture of your mains intake, fusebox meter, any other "boxes" at www.imageshack.us and we might be able to help.
etie said:
the cable in to the garage is big enough to take 30amp as it is a garden armour plated thing
Your logic is flawed. Steel Wire Armoured cable comes in various sizes, including 1.5, 2.5, 4, 6, 10, 16, 25, 35, 50, 100, 400mm². This is a non-exhaustive list. They cannot all carry 30 amps, but some can carry many times this. Again a picture might help us.
etie said:
anyway i was just wondering is there anyway to test if the feed in to the garage is 32 amp or lower or im i going to have to call the electrican in?
Have you tried isolating circuits, to see which circuit protective device supplies the garage? This would seem a good starting point. And a picture.

Sponsored Links
95 or 85. :LOL:

And I dont want a cigar. Got any vodka? :LOL:

Funnily enough I have, here's a cybershot for your 95 :cool:

PLZc9f68_AAHL001030.jpg

SWA usually has the size and number of cores moulded into the cable, can you leek at the cable and post this up?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back