how to wire a 2 gang lighting cuircut

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have 2 lights in my living room and to operate them a 2 gang switch there is only 1 switch that operates each light independantly

one light has has
1 red
1 black
1 earth

the other light has
3 reds
2 blacks
1 blue
1 yellow

at the switch there is
1 red
1 blue
1 yellow

i have got it to the point that 1 light stays on constantly and the other switches on and of

please help i have no hair left thanks

Sponsored Links
What are you doing - replacing the switch?
Was there a small link in the old one connecting both the commons together?
Can you post up a photo of the light wiring as well as the switch wiring?
My guess is that red will connect to com and loop to the other com, yellow to one L1 and blue to the other L1, (should ideally be sleeved with a small piece of red sleeve to as sw. lives).

dont have any photos sorry its in the living room i have 2 lights 1 switch each light has its own indapendant switch but on the same switch if you no what i mean and there is a small loop for the coms to connect to each other and 1 yellow and 1 blue were do they go and what way do i connect the light up there are 3 reds 2 blacks and 1 blue 1 yellow

1) What did you have before, and did it work?

2) What have you changed and why? What were you trying to make it do that was different?

3) What does "to operate them a 2 gang switch there is only 1 switch that operates each light independantly" mean?

4) //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting

Sponsored Links
you need to meter out really but
at the switch the red will go to one switch and link across to the other
the yell will go to one switch blue to the other
at the light with red/black and earth- should be obvious
now at the other light the two blacks will be together and connected with the neutral of the fitting
same with the earths
now the yell will connect to the live of the fitting

blue will connect to one of the reds
and the other two will connect together
dont ask which two reds cause i.m not there with my meter but basically the live feed connects to the switch you will know the latter if you can see the sheath as it is in the same cable as the yell and blue cores

please note based on info given and the way i've read it this is how it PROBABLY should be wired

im not sure what way everything was im fixing it. it cant be far wrong 1 light stays on all the time and the other 1 goes on and off

you need to meter out really but
at the switch the red will go to one switch and link across to the other
the yell will go to one switch blue to the other
at the light with red/black and earth- should be obvious
now at the other light the two blacks will be together and connected with the neutral of the fitting
same with the earths
now the yell will connect to the live of the fitting

blue will connect to one of the reds
and the other two will connect together
dont ask which two reds cause i.m not there with my meter but basically the live feed connects to the switch you will know the latter if you can see the sheath as it is in the same cable as the yell and blue cores

please note based on info given and the way i've read it this is how it PROBABLY should be wired

im going to try this way but in the switch the way you said red to coms with the loop to the other coms, blue to L1 and yellow to the other L1

is that right boss

thanks v much i shall let u no tomo how i get on

thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back