How to wire a ceiling light without a switch terminal (only earth, live and neutral)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to wire in a new ceiling light but the new one light does not have a separate terminal for the switch return wire (see photo). It only has 3 terminals for live, neutral and earth. So do i wire the switch return wire into the live terminal?
Many thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_7832.jpg
    IMG_7832.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 57
Sponsored Links
Switch is connected to live
Neutral
Earth if needed

Only 3 on lights

Is that what you're asking?

We've been thinking about this more and we think we need to add a separate terminal for the 3 live wires and then wire the switch return into the live terminal on the new light fitting. Is that right?
Maany thanks.

Sponsored Links
A photo of the wires dangling from the ceiling is what's wanted here.

Are those some form of quick connect/wago connector? (I cannot see the photo clearly enough).
If so you are able to add others - even choc block if needs be in order to make your connections.

There are 3 wires hanging from the ceiling -(two for the ring main and one for the switch). Below is a photo of the previous ceiling rose which I have taken off and a clearer photo of the new light. The new light has 3 quick connectors labelled Live, Earth and Neutral - my query is where the switched live cable should be wired in? I think it should go into the live on the new lamp and we need a new terminal block for the 3 live wires from the ceiling. Hope that makes sense. Thanks.
s
IMG_7826.jpg
IMG_7844.jpg

Yes, You want to connect all the three reds together, but to nothing on your light fitting. So you'll need a piece of connector block, or a wago, etc

The Black on its own to left side of the image, is the switch wire and wants identifying with red or brown sleeve and goes to live on your fitting (Make sure you don't muddle it up with the other blacks or you'll create yourself a problem)

The two blacks on the right are the neutral and go to neutral on the new fitting.

All earths go to earth on the new fitting, but be careful, are are multiple earth wires sleeved in one bit of sleeving, and it looks like your fitting has either pushfit or lever connectors which want only one wire per entry, so you might be best off putting it in a connector block and running one earth to the terminal on the new fitting

Looks like lever connectors made by Electro Terminal to me, two terminals per connector, i.e. you need larger or additional ones to accommodate all your wires.

Thanks so much for your help. I will get some more of the lever connectors - I wasn't sure of the make and you are correct. Thanks also Adam - your explanation was very clear and confirmed what I thought. Fortunately I had marked the switch wire before I disconnected it!

Just checking - Tool station sell the 5 terminal lever connectors - 32 amp. is that the right size for a lighting circuit?
Thanks.

32 A is the maximum current, yes these are perfectly adequate. However, the ones pictured (Wago 222) are quite bulky compared to the more recent 221 connectors. The electrical ratings are identical, it’s just the physical size. 222s haven‘t been manufactured for several years so they might actually sell you 221s anyway.

Thanks for that re the wagos. The light is all up and working and I will look for the 221s next time. The rose was fairly roomy so they did all fit in but it could have been tricky in a smaller fitting. Thanks for all the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back