How would you deal with this cast iron bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I was thinking of putting a club hammer to this cast iron bath and remove it. It's in poor condition btw.
The challenge though is: it's in a wood bath frame and the heating pipes are resting on the legs plus sink water pipes close by.

How would you deal with this without causing damage to the frame and the plumbing?

I assume it's too heavy to lift out of the frame although I could pay a friend a daily rate to come and help but that means opening
my wallet which is a challenge in itself:D

Attachments

• IMG_1065.jpg
    IMG_1065.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1066.jpg
    IMG_1066.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 31
Sponsored Links
Drain the heating system then break the bath, if any damage to the heating pipe work, then repair once the bath is out of the way.

Andy

Drain the heating system then break the bath, if any damage to the heating pipe work, then repair once the bath is out of the way.

Andy
Thanks. Damaging the pipework wouldn't be great as it would mean getting in a plumber. Ideal scenario: as little damage as possible

Start smashing from the sides.
Cover the pipes with something thick, ideally pipe insulation so you can leave it in place once done.
Once you break the first bit, go along the top first, gently and possibly a little piece at the time.
BTW, those pipes will most likely be in the way of the new bath (and yourself when fitting it).
They'll also be unsupported, so my way to go would be to reroute them to the floor, just behind the bath panel, so to have easy access to them if needed.

Sponsored Links
Start smashing from the sides.
Cover the pipes with something thick, ideally pipe insulation so you can leave it in place once done.
Once you break the first bit, go along the top first, gently and possibly a little piece at the time.
BTW, those pipes will most likely be in the way of the new bath (and yourself when fitting it).
They'll also be unsupported, so my way to go would be to reroute them to the floor, just behind the bath panel, so to have easy access to them if needed.
Great idea smashing from the sides and pipe insulation. I can probably hit it from the outside so the pieces fall into the bath rather than the floor.
I've found a bath that seem to fit the same measurements as the current bath so may be o.k. My plan is to support the heating pipes with a few wood blocks
Rerouting them may be beyond my expertise and would complicate matters a tad. It would be ideal if I could avoid that.

Support and protect the pipes as you say, remove the wooden frame - it won't fit the new bath although you could reuse the wood. Get some good ear defenders - the noise is horrendous! It's the first break that is difficult - you need a weak point to start, an edge or plug hole. After that it will just chip off in chunks.

Support and protect the pipes as you say, remove the wooden frame - it won't fit the new bath although you could reuse the wood. Get some good ear defenders - the noise is horrendous! It's the first break that is difficult - you need a weak point to start, an edge or plug hole. After that it will just chip off in chunks.
Thanks for this. Great info.

You need a sledge hammer not a club.
Believe it or not when we moved in and being a complete beginner I knocked an ugly cast iron fireplace (it really was ugly) into pieces with a pin hammer. Not saying how long it took

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back