Howdens shelves not trimmed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I buy kitchens about one every two years and always from Howdens. I've been very pleased with the product and the pricing. However, this latest one, I notice that all of the shelves, for the wall cabinets anyway, come trimmed on the front face only. This is a new one on me.

Not only is it clearly a cost-saving excercise on their part but worse, if anything was to be spilled then it would straightaway soak into the exposed chip board, thus destroying the shelf and require replacement.

Anyone else noticed this?

They've also simplified the pelmet profile somewhat as well by the look of it. Again, I guess, a cost-saving exercise?

Sponsored Links
Its a cost saving measure, treat any any exposed edges with a suitable sealer

I buy kitchens about one every two years and always from Howdens. I've been very pleased with the product and the pricing. However, this latest one, I notice that all of the shelves, for the wall cabinets anyway, come trimmed on the front face only. This is a new one on me.

Not only is it clearly a cost-saving excercise on their part but worse, if anything was to be spilled then it would straightaway soak into the exposed chip board, thus destroying the shelf and require replacement.

Anyone else noticed this?

They've also simplified the pelmet profile somewhat as well by the look of it. Again, I guess, a cost-saving exercise?
you buy a new kitchen every two years - why this is?

Sponsored Links
I've often seen it. Sometimes I buy made-to-measure and pay extra for edging.

You can do it yourself quite easily.

I've often seen it. Sometimes I buy made-to-measure and pay extra for edging.

You can do it yourself quite easily.
I'll be putting the mrs on to it with SBR solution and paintbrush in hand. Should keep her busy for an hour or so lol!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back