HPI Checks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a Triumph motorcycle and have been doing a bit of detective work. The bike came with a file full of old MoTs, receipts, the owners handbook, service logbook and an HPI report from when the previous owner purchased it. The service logbook shows the correct VIN number but a different registration number to that currently on the bike. I think the first owner must have put a personalised number on it at some point, since the 3 letters of the current number match his initials. The thing that I don't understand is why the HPI report does not mention anything about a change in registration number?

Sponsored Links
I am not sure but I think HPI rely more on vin numbers, more so than registration numbers. Unlike registration numbers vin's can't be bought and sold so are a more reliable method.

Plus HPI for bikes (maybe cars too) as only been around for about 12 years so if the bikes an older one that may effect it too.

Write to them and ask.

http://www.hpicheck.com/

Thanks for that. That site does not seem to offer a facility to contact them, other than to purchase a new check. It does explain what things they check though and registration number changes are part of the check. Looking again at my report it says "VRM not current- Plate Transfer History not available." I've never used HPI myself and I don't think I will be tempted in the future. Bike is a 1995 model.

Sponsored Links
I've never used HPI myself and I don't think I will be tempted in the future.

They are very good on outstanding finance and written off vehicles though, which should concern you more. HPI is run by the insurance and finance companies whereas VRM's are run by the Gov. If I had to put my money on who's at fault I would reckon on the latter.

Try motor or motorbike dealers for phone number as they work with them on a daily basis. I would contact them by E mail though, contact details are 2nd from the right at the top of the link.

Back