Humidity/PIR extract fan controller

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just got around to investigating our bathroom fan, and determined that the humidity + PIR + plus timer module has failed. It's one of these modules 72573901 Icon. Mk 1 eyeball, followed by meter, suggests that a 100 Ohm resistor has failed - slight burn mark on it, plus open circuit. The resistor is in the live supply to the entire module, the fan, and the shutter wax module - which appear to be controlled by a triac, and appears to be just a 1/4 watt. The 100 Ohms, seems to be too low a value, I see brown, black, black, black, space, brown - which I interpret as 100 Ohms, 1%. Is my interpretation of the value correct, please? It's R23 a discrete, on the front of the pcb..

Everything, on a quick look, appears to be supplied via this single resistor. What I plan to do, is replace the single resistor, with a pair of 200 Ohms, in parallel.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I found another roundtuit today, and managed to dig out a slightly more substantial 100 Ohm resistor, than the one which had failed, and replaced it. It fired up the fan, straight away, as soon as power was applied - whereas in the failed condition, it didn't. That suggests it might indeed, be fixed. To confirm, I just need to wait for the 20 minute run time timer, to time out, then it should hopefully switch off.

If it's fixed, that's between £80 and £120 saved, just on the cost of this control module. No fan included for that, just the fancy PIR/humidy/timer module

And the good news is, it is fully working again. That's the second time I have had to repair that fan. The first time, the heated wax capsule, which opens the shutter failed. I managed to source a replacement capsule. :)

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back