I messed up the shower tiles :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all.

So my shower had pebbles in it, a few had be ome lose. So I got a chisel and chipped a bit up, expecting to see a plastic shower basin under it... I was wrong.

By removing that bit, I then made it not watertight, so i was pretty committed at this point. So I chiselled everything else out. Finding a cable I started yanking, turns out that cable was the underfloor heating, which is now destroyed.

So the question, I'm going to tile on top of this, what should I put down around the edges to ensure its watertight.

And,

Anything I should put down to ensure the base is watertight Before I tile?
20240715_141739.jpg
20240715_141747.jpg

Sponsored Links
Do you use the underfloor heating? As you've got to this point I would recommend removing all the floor tiles, central heating and floor screed etc and installing new underfloor heating and tiles on the whole floor and shower tray

@yorksbuilder
To be honest, what ever I do now will be a short term fix. Just so it's usable.

I want to rip up all flooring across the whole flat and lay underfloor heating across the whole place. So right now I don't might cutting those wires and disconnecting the underfloor heating in the bathroom.

Just want to make sure it's watertight for now then lay some tiles.

Got to last 12 months tops

Maybe isolate the underfloor heating in that room, remove the loose wires, scrape out the old tile adhesive and relay some mosaic tiles onto the shower tray using a flexible adhesive and waterproof grout. Seal around the edges with a quality silicone. On the shower screen side the silicone must go on the outside joint, not the inside

Sponsored Links
Maybe isolate the underfloor heating in that room, remove the loose wires, scrape out the old tile adhesive and relay some mosaic tiles onto the shower tray using a flexible adhesive and waterproof grout. Seal around the edges with a quality silicone. On the shower screen side the silicone must go on the outside joint, not the inside
Thanks for the tips.

There was a blue tape around the outside edge of it. Do I need to use something like that ro seal it? Before laying the tiles

I don't know what your floor is, what tray it is exactly and whether the room is upstairs or downstairs. The tape would have probably been just to hold down something like the UFH before tiling, or part of a tanking system. Usually you'd tank the floor and shower cubicle and then tile on that to keep it watertight

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back