ICE 60320 C7 (fig of 8) leads with 5 amp fuses?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Went to PAT test granddaughters stuff before she starts university, two leads sets with the ICE 60320 C7 (fig of:cool: leads with 5 amp fuses? And one desk lamp with centre of E14 bulb holder to neutral, and a USB power supply/adaptor with no shutters on the 230 volt outlets, that I refused to test, the fuses easy to swap to 3 amp can't get 2.5 amp fuses, and lamp near impossible to touch the screw of lamp so let it pass.

However all new equipment from UK outlets, not internet.

Sponsored Links
The fuse protects the 0.75 mm2 lead in case of a short, overloads are prevented by the load, anything sold with an IEC inlet mustn‘t draw more than 2.5 A. Even a 13 A fuse would be up to the job. In France and Belgium the same lead has an unfused plug and gets plugged into a 20 A radial, 16 A in the rest of continental Europe.

overloads are prevented by the load
That is a common misconception.

While the"load" is functioning correctly then the current in the supply cable will be determined by the item. If ( when ) the load item malfunctions then the fault in the item while determine how much current flows. It maybe that an internal fuse blows ( that is good ) or it maybe that a short circuit occurs in the item and without a fuse in the item the current in the cable is limited only by the fuse in the plug ( or the trip in the consumer unit ) or the melting of the cable.

That is a common misconception. .... While the"load" is functioning correctly then the current in the supply cable will be determined by the item. If ( when ) the load item malfunctions then the fault in the item while determine how much current flows.
As we often discuss, without scraping barrels it's not that easy to think of many loads other than those containing motors etc. which (when they 'malfunction') are likely (or even 'able') to result in significant overload (as opposed to 'fault') currents for significant periods of tme.

Sponsored Links
I can tell you for a fact that in the rest of Europe, where they don't have the magic fuse, but use the same appliances, people live in fear of their lives, with mains leads catching fire left, right and centre every day.
Yes, it really is a nuisance.

I can tell you for a fact that in the rest of Europe, where they don't have the magic fuse, but use the same appliances, people live in fear of their lives, with mains leads catching fire left, right and centre every day.
Thank heavens, at last someone else has made this comment...

I though I was the only one with this information.

The main question is not if safe, I am sure the fig of 8 lead would not be used on equipment in normal operation drawing more than the 2.5 amp it is rated at.

But:-
1) Why fit 5 amp fuses to new equipment?
2) Should I pass it with that fuse fitted?

If another electrician sees an item passed which he feels should not have passed, then it raises the question can he trust the testing on other items.

Testing is likely just to reduce the number of unsuitable items in the halls of residence. Likely no one will ask for the equipment register, or question who did the work, likely people just buy a role of stickers.

My PAT testing back in the day, would result in many 3 amp fuses being fitted. But today it is a one off exercise.

Out of curiosity: which fuse site would you expect for a C13 lead (connector rated 10 A/250 V)? I know a bunch of them comes with 5 A fuses but they could be too small in some applications. 10 A fuses do exist but I doubt end users are likely to fit them as most stores only stock 3, 5 and 13 A fuses.

Incidentally this might be the reason for the 5 A fuses - just fit the same fuses to every lead.

My understanding is that some manufacturers fit larger fuses than would be justified by the normal running current due to concerns about fuses blowing from inrush. IIRC BS1363 even has specific provisions allowing for this practice.

In my experience, C13 cords in the UK most commonly made from 0.75mm flex and fitted with 5A fuses but I've seen plenty of other combinations.

I had an issue PA testing a brand new electric fire for a customer that had a 0.75mm² lead and a 13A fuse in the plug.

I failed it, as the regs say 0.75 flex should be protected by a maximum of 6A, but there is a discrepancy between 7671 and whatever guidance appliance manufacturers are working to. Their rules state that plugs on appliances with a 0.75mm² lead can be fitted with a 13A fuse.

Here is an extension lead I made for use in NZ. I also had a 5m lead to extend the length if necessary and a lead with an (unfused) NZ plug rated at 10A. All the flexes are 0.75mm², so I fitted a 5A fuse in the 6 way.

IMG_20240829_083721_MP.jpg

I had an issue PA testing a brand new electric fire for a customer that had a 0.75mm² lead and a 13A fuse in the plug.
What sort of 'electric fire' and what power?

If it were part of an electric installation (which I realise it isn't), then BS7671 would say that if the nature of the load was such that it was unlikely to create an overload current (which I imagine would apply if there was just a resistive element and no motors etc.) then no overload protection of the cable is required at all - so a 13A (or any other rating) of fuse would presumably be acceptable (and would provide adequate fault protection).
I failed it, as the regs say 0.75 flex should be protected by a maximum of 6A,
Which regs are you talking about - BS7671?
but there is a discrepancy between 7671 and whatever guidance appliance manufacturers are working to. Their rules state that plugs on appliances with a 0.75mm² lead can be fitted with a 13A fuse.
Indeed so. Whilst Note (b) doesn't explain what "certain equipment" it's talking about, it looks as if, were your PATesting being done "to BS1363" (which I presume it isn't), and if the plug were non-rewirable, then a 13A fuse protecting a 0,75mm cable might well be OK?

1724939759019.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back