icon-T: Hot water only if heating is on.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, wonder if anyone can shed light on a problem.

We have an icon-T combi boiler which we are guessing is approx 8 years old (the instructions were printed in 2000).

About a week ago we noticed that our water would run cold if the heating was turned off. Is this a sign that the boiler is on it's way out? Or is it a fixable problem? Since moving into our house 4 1/2 years ago, we haven't had a service :oops: so maybe just a good clean perhaps?

I think we ought to get ourselves boiler cover as I'm guessing this is going to be expensive! As long it can hold on for a month :confused: Can anyone recommend a good (reasonably priced) company to go with which includes an annual inspection?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
dhw microswitch or diagphragm most likely. If its the diagphragm it can be replaced without removing the valve which is a little tricky, but much better than the other option of having to remove the whole diverter valve which is an absolute pig! The microswitch can be replaced in a few minutes. Both parts cost very little. If you feel competent in having a look and testing, we can give you some advice on how to.

If you feel competent in having a look and testing, we can give you some advice on how to.

Thanks for the reply Micky. Unfortunately, I don't feel competent in having a look at all :LOL: Boilers scare the bejebus out of me!

Can anyone recommend a good (reasonably priced) company to go with which includes an annual inspection?

in which case the answer to this question is Group Service, they are the company which owns Hermann who made your boiler.
you can get their number from the vaillant, glowworm or saunier duval websites, its all the same company ;)

Sponsored Links
If its the diagphragm it can be replaced without removing the valve which is a little tricky, but much better than the other option of having to remove the whole diverter valve which is an absolute pig!

I would second that its very tricky.

The last one that I did was completed OK all for our fixed price but a few days later he called to complain that the DHW performance was not as good as normal.

At that point I asked him how long the diverter had been failed for. It was over three months.

During all that time when it was not moving, the back manifold section of the manifold had been seized up! Pity he did not tell me at first!

As the boiler was in a fixed cabinet, I was unable to remove the manifold and I had to treat it in situ which took a considerable time. I also had to do it at no further charge as I had not been able to know that it was failed as I had expected he had called me immediately it stopped working!

I always ask first now!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back