ideal eco esprit 24: replacing boss therm br1 with Hive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I have a Boss Therm BR1 receiver with a BRTRF wireless thermostat, and it is currently working fine with my Ideal Eco Esprit 24 boiler.

Assuming the existing wiring is correct (since it functions properly), would it be correct to say that the only rewiring work I need to do to switch to Hive would be on the receiver only? Asking this because I am not very skilled and I am assessing the difficulty of doing this all by myself.

I have yet to open the faceplate of BR1 but I assume it'd be very similar/ identical to what it's shown here: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/boss-br1-to-hive-active-heating-wiring.569055/ - although I am not 100% sure on their wiring in the picture?

Regards

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Looking at the instructions, it seems it is on/off control, but looking at the diagrams 1721862277265.png1721863277897.pngit is not clear as to what voltage. The old thermostat seems to be volt free
1721863490724.png
, the link you show it was not wired as volt free, so you need a picture of yours, not some random picture.

Sponsored Links
Looking at the instructions, it seems it is on/off control, but looking at the diagrams View attachment 350169View attachment 350170it is not clear as to what voltage. The old thermostat seems to be volt freeView attachment 350171, the link you show it was not wired as volt free, so you need a picture of yours, not some random picture.
Apologies - life has been really busy and I just didn’t have any time to work on the house.

These are the pictures of the wiring.

Attachments

• IMG_1385.jpeg
    IMG_1385.jpeg
    253.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1386.jpeg
    IMG_1386.jpeg
    317 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1392.jpeg
    IMG_1392.jpeg
    197.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1393.jpeg
    IMG_1393.jpeg
    214.1 KB · Views: 8
I’ve uploaded the pictures above - sorry for the late response!
That's ok! :)

I have yet to open the faceplate of BR1 but I assume it'd be very similar/ identical to what it's shown here:
As it is, your assumptions were correct!
The wiring (to the single channel Hive) does exactly match that which is shown in the linked thread.
Screenshot_20240928-234855_Chrome.jpg

The only difference - the link wire would be red in your case (modified above!).

However, current regs don't allow the use of a green/yellow wire for a switched live (as you have). At the minimum, the green/yellow wire should be oversleeved in brown, to denote it as a switched live.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back