Ideal Mexico rs 380

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had the boiler serviced today, comment from gas man was that "inner flue is deteriorating, advise new boiler before gets worse". He basically told me it was fine but maybe a good time to get a new boiler next Summer as a planned event rather than if deteriorates by next service then have to get done as an emergency.

Sounds reasonable advice, boiler initially fitted Summer 2000 (I'd hoped for a bit longer, but perhaps I hope for too much!) I'm also not really questioning his advice as he doesn't do installs (he recommended me a few names however).

Just checking that the flue can't be replaced and whether the advice seems reasonable. 13 years doesn't seem too long out of a cast iron "old fashioned" type boiler, but if I'm being tight then tell me!

From reading I think will try and update to a megaflow type setup next time, looks as though could be some upheaval - does a new boiler fit usually cause lots of destruction - I ask as we have plans booked to recarpet and re plaster hall stairs and landing - wife was keen on wood flooring downstairs - now I see a problem if floors have to come up etc! People coming to quote this week, prob best to delay them....

Sponsored Links
These decisions are totally subjective and different engineers have varying assessments.

But he has no axe to grind so perhaps you should assume its good advice.

Installers have to throw away near perfect old flue terminals because there is no demand for them.

In theory you could follow Ebay and see if one ever came up but its unlikely because its perceived there is no demand!

A modern condensing boiler will be about 20% more efficient so with rising gas prices not a bad investment.

Tony

I will concur that the advice sounds reasonable.

For the love of God don't decorate first.

Collateral damage during a boiler swap is always a possibility and sods law dictates that a new floor and repainted hall will be marked at some point.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back