Identify heating and recommend replacement.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am purchasing a 3 bed 1970's true bungalow with all original heating and hot water! - bought through probate and very cheep!

Everything needs replacing!

The central heating will need replacing ASAP but we may not do before we move in. (Money and planned extension!!)

I need advice on they type and suggested replacement and costs as i am not familiar with this type of set up. I am a joiner / handyman by trade so want to find out about this my self before i get quotes from local heating installers.

Apparently the heating /HW unit is fitted in the wall behind the gas fire in the lounge. The photo attached is of the control head unit: 'Glow Worm Master Mind' on the wall buy the floor to the side of the gas fire. In the room behind the gas fire is a brick flue / chimny with no apparent access and a hot water storage / boiler with access next to it in a cupboard (looks like it has been replaced more recently.)

//media.diynot.com/186000_185640_44421_90494764_thumb.jpg

I have not found an adjustable thermostat? I am told that it is behind the gas fire!! in the heating unit. How can that work??!

Any knowledge on this set up appreciated as we will have to live with it for at least 6 months before we build a large extension and then we will replace the whole system.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sponsored Links
You have a fire and back boiler from your limited description.
I would recommend getting it checked over and serviced and your man will be able to go over the operation. It may or not be fully pumped, so describing the operation is difficult without a better description of ALL the controls etc.
Further pics will assist.

Fire and back boiler.

I would keep it. It will most likely outlast any new modern condensing boiler
you put in there and apart from a yearly check is unlikely to break down ever.

If it currently does gravity hot water I would perhaps change the configuration to fully pumped and if you have an old copper tank perhaps upgraded this to an unvented cylinder.

You can upgrade the radiators if necessary the old back boiler will happily drive them.

Thanks to you both for your reply's.

I will wait until I have got the keys to the house, get my man round to do a service, take more photo's! and go from there.

I like the idea off not having to replace, but is it likely to extend the system to another two large rads when the extension is built?

Also, can a modern control unit be fitted and how does the current thermostat work?

Sponsored Links
Thanks to you both for your reply's.

I will wait until I have got the keys to the house, get my man round to do a service, take more photo's! and go from there.

I like the idea off not having to replace, but is it likely to extend the system to another two large rads when the extension is built?

Also, can a modern control unit be fitted and how does the current thermostat work?

You can have modern controls, thermostats and the like.
They just switch the boiler on and off. Even underfloor heating!!!
Most likely the back boiler isn't working at full capacity so adding extra
radiators won't be a problem it can most likely be turned up a little.

thanks dcawkwell this is sounding better (cheaper) by every post! I want Underfloor heating in the extention! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back