Identifying plaster in victorian terrace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm removing some plaster on our rear external wall and want to know what type of Plaster it is. It seems to have a thin rigid white surface then powdery grey texture behind. Mainly keen to know it's not hazardous!

Attachments

• 20240708_112948.jpg
    20240708_112948.jpg
    465.8 KB · Views: 34
Sponsored Links
It won't be asbestos if that's what you mean. Just take normal precautions for working with construction dust.

Should be fine but there is an incredibly small risk of anthrax. They used horse hair as a binding agent. There are fewer than one case per year of people inhaling anthrax horse hairs.

Sponsored Links
Should be fine but there is an incredibly small risk of anthrax. They used horse hair as a binding agent. There are fewer than one case per year of people inhaling anthrax horse hairs.
Where did you get that bombshell from?

I did type that this was rubbish. Then googled it, apparently it's a genuine concern?!

I doubt that it would still be alive after 100 years.

It looks like it's a lucrative business for anthrax testing businesses though.

Oh please, that's more niche than ratatouille.

Zero chance of anthrax in the OPs victorian terrace, it does not even make any risk assessments.

so-called horsehair is frequently coconut fibre (coir). it was used to make "horsehair" mattresses as well as mats and ropes. It is usually gingery brown and much stiffer and springy than real horse hair.

In Victorian times it was imported in bales in vast quantities from the Empire, bought very cheap.

I doubt that it would still be alive after 100 years.

Having googled it... "The longest survival claim is probably that of de Vos (1990) who recovered anthrax spores from bones retrieved during archaeological excavations at a site in the Kruger National Park, South Africa, that were estimated by carbon-dating to be 200 ± 50 years old."

Further Googling shows that "In 1992 Bowen & Turnbull (Turnbull, personal communication, 2002) found B. anthracis in samples of the plaster and lagging of London’s King’s Cross railway station roof space and dated this to infected horse hair used to bind the plaster when the building was constructed a century before (only in 1908 was the Horse Hair Act passed in the United Kingdom, requiring the sterilization of horse hair used in buildings).

As I said earlier, cases of infection are extremely rare, but there is a very, very slight risk. I suspect that the very low number of cases in the construction industry are, in part down to suitable PPE.

Anthrax seems to almost be as resilient as tardigrades.

so-called horsehair is frequently coconut fibre (coir). it was used to make "horsehair" mattresses as well as mats and ropes. It is usually gingery brown and much stiffer and springy than real horse hair.

In Victorian times it was imported in bales in vast quantities from the Empire, bought very cheap.

You may well be correct but horse hair was definitely used. Typically it was hair from the mane and tail. Apparently hair from goats and other animals were also used.

Apparently hair from goats and other animals were also used.
And even cows!

Screenshot_20240721-123617_Chrome.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back