Improve driveway drainage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,
I'm looking to get some advice on how to improve the drainage on our driveway. We have blockpaving which fans out as you go down towards the house (see images). Both sides of the blockpaving was just covered with hardcore and then flattened to provide a solid surface on which to park cars. However the one side (left as you look at the house) is particularly bad for drainage during and after heavy downpours. The neighbour has has their driveway blockpaved but have no channel drain to take their water and whilst i have cemented the inevitable gaps between the gravel boards i suspect that water is still getting through (underground) but my suspicion is that our ground is just so compact and i believe that we are on top of clay. We took about a 4m2 area of the hardcore off the top of the problematic side to see if this aids quicker drainage and it hasn't. We do have a channel drain (you can see on the photo) that runs the width of the house which, should this area flood over the curved kerbstones, the water would be taken away into the connected drain. The water does eventually drain (& evaporate) away but obviously we would like to park that side so we are looking at various options. Obviously the easiest one (if i was a professional driveway installer) would be to take up some blockpaving and run a channel drainup alongside the fence panels, cnnecting it to the existing channel drain in the corner, but i wanted to put it on here to see if anyone had any other ideas on what could be done. As i said, i believe the whole area is built on clay and i had wondered whether i could dig a couple of "deep holes", insert some crates and fill them with gravel in order for water to drain down quicker. But as this would be in clay, I'm assuming the water would still pool, albeit this would give a bigger area for water to disperse underground...

Any suggestions/ideas would be really appreciated....

Thanks
Paul

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-10-01 at 11.29.59_49495cb4.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-10-01 at 11.29.59_49495cb4.jpg
    404.2 KB · Views: 13
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-10-01 at 11.29.59_2c9bb9d3.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-10-01 at 11.29.59_2c9bb9d3.jpg
    401.7 KB · Views: 11
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-09-30 at 12.18.57_6150c5be.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-09-30 at 12.18.57_6150c5be.jpg
    494.9 KB · Views: 13
Sponsored Links
We were going to put interlocking grids in that are filled with gravel. Sounds silly but would this not act in a similar way i.e some water will "sit" but a lot will run off into the drain?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back