Indesit tumble dryer intermittently spinning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have an indesit condenser dryer. I noticed last night that when I press the button to switch on the machine makes the usual noise like there's power but the drum doesn't spin, or spins for a while then stops. I tried again this morning and there was a little smoke and burning smell that looked like it came from the control panel area (could be wrong) so I switched off and removed the plug. I removed the top and there was loads of dust in there so I gave it a good hoover out but couldn't see any burnt out components on the back of the control panel or anything else that looked damaged so I plugged it back in and gave it another go and it started spinning. This lasted for about 10 minutes and then it stopped spinning again. What can I check? It doesn't't seem terminal to me so I don't really want to throw it out just yet if it can be fixed.

Sponsored Links
Try plugging in somewhere else to eliminate fused spur or socket.
They can burn out causing issues because of the amount of power pulled.
Check the fuse in sealed plug is clean and seated tight.

I am only guessing... I might be the motor capacitor. The capacitor provides the "boost" required to start the drum spinning. Sorry, you may be aware of that, but others reading this post might not be.

My heat pump tumble drier recently stopped working, It made a buzzing noise but the drum would not spin. I partially stripped it down, pushed the drum clockwise and it started spinning.

I popped down to Capitol Repairs in Rayners Lane. They gave me a generic capacitor. Less than a tenner. The machine started working immediately.

The capacitor is the same kind of diameter as the cardboard interior of a loo paper roll. It, in my limited experience, has a threaded bolt with a nut to hold it in place next to the motor.

If you don't want to pull it out again to test it, you could possibly open the door and wedge a screwdriver into the door lock to trick it into thinking that the door is locked, and then use your hand to start the drum moving.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
That’s interesting, when mine stopped after the 10 minute period I gave the drum a little push and it started up for a while like it was really trying to start up again but couldn’t quite make it.

I’ve just tested it and of course it’s started up again no problem for the last 20 minutes. I’ll put a load in this evening and check again to see if that makes a difference and if I can get to the capacitor I’ll check it with a multimeter.

That’s interesting, when mine stopped after the 10 minute period I gave the drum a little push and it started up for a while like it was really trying to start up again but couldn’t quite make it.

I’ve just tested it and of course it’s started up again no problem for the last 20 minutes. I’ll put a load in this evening and check again to see if that makes a difference and if I can get to the capacitor I’ll check it with a multimeter.

TBH, I don't know how to test a failing capacitor with a multimeter.

For what it is worth, my capacitor was, as you look at the machine, on the bottom right hand side of the drum where the motor is. I have only repaired about 12 washing machines and tumble driers. In each case the motor was bottom right.

Flashing lights or lights permanently on is an error code.
You don't need to have a digital display

TBH, I don't know how to test a failing capacitor with a multimeter.

For what it is worth, my capacitor was, as you look at the machine, on the bottom right hand side of the drum where the motor is. I have only repaired about 12 washing machines and tumble driers. In each case the motor was bottom right.
Annoyingly since you posted I have managed to do two loads of drying with no further instances of it not starting. My fault was strikingly similar to yours though so I took off the side panel and located the capacitor which is exactly where you said.

It's an 8.5uF capacitor +/- 5% but when I measured it, it was only reading 3.3uF so I suppose that must be my issue. As long as your multimeter can measure capacitance then you just test it by touching your probes like you would resistance.

Thanks for the help

Attachments

• IMG_1924.jpg
    IMG_1924.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 1

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back