Indirect hot water cylinder advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hoping you folks can advise please.
My indirect cylinder is heated from 15mm pipes that go in to a calorifier coil (? see pics) where the electric immersion usually goes. It's been slowly leaking at the connections for several years(!). I tried to tighten them a bit but it just made it worse.

The whole thing's rubbish and I suspect the coil is sludged up because it's really inefficient. Having removed the cylinder, I discovered it has connections for a proper indirect heating coil (they're not stopped off).

The gas boiler's quite old but OK, and I'm loathed to have it replaced with a combi because of the expense and the uncertainty about the future of gas/heat pumps etc. A combi would make sense - the main shower is electric, so the hot water requirement is very modest (it's a one bedroom flat).

1) I presume the calorifier was fitted as a repair, possibly when the main coil went wrong? There's no other reason for it?
2) If I fit a new cylinder, can I use the existing 15mm pipes to the heating coil in the new cylinder? The flow pipe gets reduced to 15mm straight after the Y-valve - is that right?
3) Anything else?

Many thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• IMG_5418.JPG
    IMG_5418.JPG
    393.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_5419.JPG
    IMG_5419.JPG
    316.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_5420.JPG
    IMG_5420.JPG
    395.7 KB · Views: 55
Sponsored Links
That's what used to be called a 'hot rod'
Ripped out a good few! It would be better to have 22mm to coil on a new cylinder but 15mm will work at a push.
We use the Gledhill stainless steel replacement cylinders good price decent performance coil and easy to use.

if the original coil had gone then water would be leaking out of the unsealed connections . the hot rod (blade) was probably in the existing cylinder many years ago and they re used it because too lazy to pipe up the coil .
New cylinders are around 300 quid now . i would reuse the existing after removing the old blade seal use an immersion plug or stick an immersion heater in .

Sponsored Links
if the original coil had gone then water would be leaking out of the unsealed connections . the hot rod (blade) was probably in the existing cylinder many years ago and they re used it because too lazy to pipe up the coil .
New cylinders are around 300 quid now . i would reuse the existing after removing the old blade seal use an immersion plug or stick an immersion heater in .
Thank you very much. I was wondering why they did it that way. Didn't occur to me that the cylinder was newer than the hot rod. I haven't ordered a new cylinder yet - I'll have another look at the old one and see if I can make it work the way it should have been done. Cheers...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back