Inset tile to wooden worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a ruined wooded worktop where water from the sink has rotted the wood. As a short term bodge I am thinking of insetting a single 1200x600 tile, which would fit perfecty. The idea would be to use a router to create a tight fitting recess such that the tile lies flush with the rest of the worktop.

I will need to cut a shape in the tile for the drop in sink, with pretty tight tolerances. I'll also need to mount a through-worktop mixer tap.

What I don't know:

What adhesive to use under the tile.
What sealant to use around the edges of the tile
How to cut the hole for the sink
How to mount the tap tightly enough without cracking the tile
Other things only an expert would know!

I realise I should really rip out the whole worktop, but in fact there's another 4m of lovely maple that I don't want to lose.

Can anyone advise?

Sponsored Links
I would advise against it , (unless you have a good supply of free large tiles)even if your cut out is successful just picking it up to install is likely to break it given you will have a hole for taps a few mm from edge of tile and edge of cut out .

I would advise against it , (unless you have a good supply of free large tiles)even if your cut out is successful just picking it up to install is likely to break it given you will have a hole for taps a few mm from edge of tile and edge of cut out .

I see. What if I made the cuts with the tile already in place so that it was supported?

Alternatively, can you suggest another material that I could do this with?

I guess a 'high pressure laminate' eg Trespa Meteon would work but not cheap, there are other manufacturers. It's typically used as an exterior cladding but it's also used for toilet partitions amongst other things so only available in massive sheets or you pay a premium for having it cut to size etc. eg https://plasticsheetsshop.co.uk/hpl-sheets/?fwp_paged=2 you need to enter the size you want to get an accurate price, looks like you'd be paying about £80 depending on the colour and what extras you added.

Sponsored Links
I guess a 'high pressure laminate' eg Trespa Meteon would work but not cheap, there are other manufacturers. It's typically used as an exterior cladding but it's also used for toilet partitions amongst other things so only available in massive sheets or you pay a premium for having it cut to size etc. eg https://plasticsheetsshop.co.uk/hpl-sheets/?fwp_paged=2 you need to enter the size you want to get an accurate price, looks like you'd be paying about £80 depending on the colour and what extras you added.

Interesting stuff - not much more expensive than a tile @ 6mm, which would be a perfect depth to recess in.

I'm now wondering if this might be better managed by pouring an opaque epoxy resin into the recess.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back