inspection cameras

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the market for one of these phone-connected cameras that you can send down nooks and crannies to see what's going on. I can see it being useful to look above ceilings when fishing cables and various plumbing scenarios, including the current one, where I want to inspect a downpipe for any blockages, etc.

Is this something you guys use and could recommend please?

Sponsored Links
I got a cheap chineese no name from amazon (depstech?), which works well with an iphone. Getting the orientation right so you know which way the camera is pointing takes a bit of getting used to, and it really helps to get light inside the nook or cranny, although it comes with an adjustable beam

I also have an amazon cheap "special" Chinese one which works fine. Cheap enough to only use every now and then. I put a bit of white insulation tape on the top to at least start the orientation the right way up.
I think it was one that loads of sellers sell but all with different names. Basically the same product.

I do inspections almost daily, have done for decades, and I can say I've never had the need for one of these cameras.

Sponsored Links
I do inspections almost daily, have done for decades, and I can say I've never had the need for one of these cameras.
That is because you are a professional. And or dont mind knocking out a big hole to get your eyeball in - and a torch. Mine is supposed to be waterproof so can inspect water pipes. It is semi stiff :censored: so can be pushed in to spaces but I find it better to attach a piece of wire or a dowel for easier control. Cheap enough to buy - may as well have one in your kit, its one of those things that you hardly ever use in a DIY situation but when you need it its very useful. You can also take snapshots of the view for closer inspection. Last time I used mine was to read a code number off an internal oven fan.

That is because you are a professional. And or dont mind knocking out a big hole to get your eyeball in - and a torch. Mine is supposed to be waterproof so can inspect water pipes. It is semi stiff :censored: so can be pushed in to spaces but I find it better to attach a piece of wire or a dowel for easier control. Cheap enough to buy - may as well have one in your kit, its one of those things that you hardly ever use in a DIY situation but when you need it its very useful. You can also take snapshots of the view for closer inspection. Last time I used mine was to read a code number off an internal oven fan.
If I need probe a bit more rigid I shove it down a length of pex tube with the camera level with the end and if thats down a drain pipe I bore holes either side of a tennis ball and shove the pex through it so it keeps the lens up out of the wet

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back