Installation of a Stoves Richmond 1100E

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just about to install my new Stoves Richmond 1100E Induction Range Cooker and I am not happy with the electrics.

My father in law "Qualified Electrician" did all the electrics before the plastering and I told him it was a 45 Amp Cooker.

After he had fitted all the elecrics I quized him again and he said he installed, I think a 32 Amp Switch Unit. The breaker in the Consumer Unit is BS32 32Amp??

I have just had a look at the sticky on this Forum and the cable looks as though its 6mm2 (The dimensions are 13.5mm x 7mm), on the cable is printed BASEC 078 BS 600 6242YH 2x6+2.5 PX 42.
The Live and Neutral Cores are about 5mm.

He had a look in the 17 Edition Handbook and worked out that the installed electrics would be OK and added that it would only draw 45 Amps if everything was on MAX!!

Should I go with his thinking or call in a second opinion, I assume that the Switch Unit and Circuit Breaker will be a direct swap but the cable will have to be re run all the way back to the consumer unit??

If I stick with what I have all that would happen is that the circuit would trip wouldn't it??

Ta

Sponsored Links
After he had fitted all the elecrics I quized him again and he said he installed, I think a 32 Amp Switch Unit. The breaker in the Consumer Unit is BS32 32Amp??

I have just had a look at the sticky on this Forum and the cable looks as though its 6mm2 (The dimensions are 13.5mm x 7mm), on the cable is printed BASEC 078 BS 600 6242YH 2x6+2.5 PX 42.
The Live and Neutral Cores are about 5mm
The cable sounds like 6mm² t+e. This has a maximum rating of 47A when clipped direct so could in theory be put on a larger breaker if you had nuisance tripping.

However, this would be dependant on the cable run (whether through insulation etc as this reduces the maximum load the cable can carry safely). It must not be changed without taking derating/volt drop factors into account.

I can't find the specs for your cooker online but it appears to contain an induction hob - have a look at the current rating on the data plate and let us know what it says.

For your info you can often apply diversity to cooker installations but when installing an induction hob you have to provide for the full load. It may be your father-in-law assumed that an induction hob was not being used.

Hi;

Thanks for the response, the plate on the back of the cooker said 17Kw, however owing to my concerns I popped across the road to an Electricians Office (Just Opened in the last couple of weeks) and asked for some advice and also asked if he would wire up the cooker.

He took a look at the cabling and advised that I change it for 10mm2 and added if I pulled it through he'd fit it for £20/30 plus cable and breaker.

Luckily me and the missus managed to pull the cable and managed to get it round a 45 degree bend without lift a newly laid carpet (thank heavens).

The cooker switch was 45 Amp and there was a spare 40 Amp Breaker in the consumer unit which we are using at the mo.

I am happier that the canle has been changed considering all the possibilities such as later renting the property out and void insurance claims if the cooker set fire to the house!!!

Not had the official bill yet but used about 15m of cable at about £2 per metre.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back