Installing electrics in a garden cabin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i want to install electrics in a large 16 x 12 feet garden wooden summer house, to be used all year round, i need wall outlets to run a dvd, amp, projector, heater, subwoofer, and ceiling lights, how do i go about doing this, and how much will it cost to if i did it myself. will i need a consumer unit

Sponsored Links
this question has been done to death, try a search for power to garage, outbuilding, shed

how far is it to your garage

personally i would do the run to the shed in 6mm swa if its a fairly short distance (less than about 30m) and more if its longer (10mm will be fine for up to around 50m if you are going further than that i really envy your garden) and use twin and earth of the same size as the armoured between the box with the rcd and the house CU)

then use a 40A breaker in the house CU and fit a small CU in the garage

i would use a switched metalclad CU in the garage and put the rcd in a metal modular enclosure in the house

btw if you didn't know already
T&E=twin and earth (normal house wiring cable)

so its

[code:1]
non rcd side of house CU--T&E--metal box with rcd--SWA
|
|
6A cuircuit for lights--switched metal cU
|
|
32A ring for sockets
[/code:1]

this install design may seem like overkill and it probablly is but i would always say its better to do that than to end up replaceing the armoured cable if and when you

which end you should put the rcd at is a very controvesial subject personally i belive it makes little real difference either way though

Sponsored Links
farley123 said:
will i need a consumer unit

You will definitely need an alarm with that lot in a wooden summer house! :LOL:

To be honest with you, I don't think you will end up with a very good home cinema, building it in a wooden hut. The acoustics will be odd, the temperature will be either too hot or too cold to be comfortable to watch a film. Not to mention sticking several grand's worth of sensitive electronic equipment in a very variable environment: humidity, temperature, greater risk of water dripping into it. And you could find your neighbours against the noise that will travel into their garden.

Perhaps you could try to use the summer house for the tasks that you use one of the rooms in your house for (spare bedroom?) and keep your goodies in the room you free up? :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back