Interlocking tiles problem (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I paid for my roofs to be fixed, maybe I should have hired someone different!
I have a tiled wall regular tiles, that meets a pitch roof Redland 49 and there's a large gap where they meet
I don't know what is meant to go in there, it was lead before the tiles were changed,
I asked them to sort but not seen or heard from them for over 4 weeks so it's going to be a DIY job
but I have not dealt with interlocking tiles before any advice would be most welcome

Attachments

• 2024 E PICS 347.JPG
    2024 E PICS 347.JPG
    785 KB · Views: 47
  • 2024 E PICS 327.JPG
    2024 E PICS 327.JPG
    247 KB · Views: 45
Sponsored Links
I think you need a roofer. Going to need a decent job done with lead. Not my area but I know that needs someone a bit handy.
Try the nextdoor website.
Find local guy that's having good reviews.

OP,
The lead flashings are missing.
You have wall hung plain tiles meeting a pitched, profiled tile roof.
Given it involves working on a roof, & lifting and replacing plain tiles and profiled tiles, & cutting & shaping the lead flashings- then its probably a job for a roofer.

maybe I should have hired someone different
I can’t imagine what sort of roofer would miss out the lead work!

Almost any tradesman with a bit of common sense would know something has to go in BEFORE the tiles are fitted.

The tiles are going to have to be stripped back and the lead work done, it can’t be made weathertight by dressing lead over the top.

I’m not a roofer but I believe redland 49 tiles can’t have lead soakers so it probably needs a secret gutter formed in lead and the redland tiles cut with a 50mm gap

Sponsored Links
Thanks notch,
I have researched how to do the leadwork but not much info out there, even asked BMI TECH DEPT who are having a think!, and they make the tiles.
We know how to do roof work on flat tiles, but no one will even look as they don't want reprisals from the people who did the roof, we got scammed, so I can't find a roofer to even tell me how to apply the lead. Redland 49 do not have soakers as you say.
ree- I am new here, and I posted in the wrong section, we had lead in there before, which the 'roofers' removed when they put the new tiles on, I asked them to put the lead back and fix another few bits that didn't look right but never seen them again and don't actually want them messing any more of my roof up.
I could post a lot of pictures of their shoddy work, but we are busy sorting out the bits we know how to do.

Thanks notch,
I have researched how to do the leadwork but not much info out there, even asked BMI TECH DEPT who are having a think!, and they make the tiles.
We know how to do roof work on flat tiles, but no one will even look as they don't want reprisals from the people who did the roof, we got scammed, so I can't find a roofer to even tell me how to apply the lead. Redland 49 do not have soakers as you say.
ree- I am new here, and I posted in the wrong section, we had lead in there before, which the 'roofers' removed when they put the new tiles on, I asked them to put the lead back and fix another few bits that didn't look right but never seen them again and don't actually want them messing any more of my roof up.
I could post a lot of pictures of their shoddy work, but we are busy sorting out the bits we know how to do.
The vertical tile hanging needs stripping off, and a flashing fitted correctly along with correct underfelt lapping.

So not only did these "roofers" leave you with a dodgy roof, they stole your valuable lead as well!
That's theft pure & simple.

Really Chris ! They took old lead and were supposed to replace it, they offered to concrete it which I said no to! I then asked about a few other
problems, they said, be back next week -still waiting I don't want them back as I don't want any more roof problems. The BMI tech Dept, came up with it needs a GRP valley or lead, all I asked was how the lead is applied as in over/under as never worked with Redland 49 tiles and other roofers are reluctant to even visit for fear of reprisals from the rogue roofers.

The vertical tile hanging needs stripping off, and a flashing fitted correctly along with correct underfelt lapping.
Thanks we know this, just need to know whether flashing goes over the Redland 49 or under or if there is a different way to do it. I would love to get a proper roofer to do it, but as I said they are reluctant to come round, which is why I was asking for help.

Really Chris ! They took old lead and were supposed to replace it, they offered to concrete it which I said no to! I then asked about a few other
problems, they said, be back next week -still waiting I don't want them back as I don't want any more roof problems. The BMI tech Dept, came up with it needs a GRP valley or lead, all I asked was how the lead is applied as in over/under as never worked with Redland 49 tiles and other roofers are reluctant to even visit for fear of reprisals from the rogue roofers.
Well, I admire your charitable view of your now departed roofer. However, it remains the fact that he removed your lead valleys, didn't replace them and then disappeared with the lead. Seems to me that he's stolen the lead from you. I don't see how it can be viewed any other way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back