Intermediate Switch Layout variation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im looking to change our current intermediate switch for a more modern look, but just need to confirm the wiring, You will see from the pictures that the current L1 & L2 connections are located top to bottom, where on the new switch they are side to side. Question as long as I connect the current L1 wires to the new L1, and current L2 to the new L2, will this work and be safe?
Current.jpg
New.jpg

Sponsored Links
Were there no instructions with it?

Seems quite common to have the L1 and L2 either way thus rendering them completely useless.

Im looking to change our current intermediate switch for a more modern look, but just need to confirm the wiring, You will see from the pictures that the current L1 & L2 connections are located top to bottom, where on the new switch they are side to side. Question as long as I connect the current L1 wires to the new L1, and current L2 to the new L2, will this work and be safe?View attachment 323324View attachment 323325
I would say NO.

This isn't the case for every electrical job, but in this case I would simply but the wires in the same positions as before, and ignore the markings.

I would put the existing top brown and grey wires in the top terminals of the new switch.
And the existing bottom brown and grey wires in the bottom terminals of the new switch.

Ideally you could test the switch before you fit it with a continuity tester - but it wouldn't do any harm in this case trying it the suck and see method.

Sponsored Links
Were there no instructions with it?

Seems quite common to have the L1 and L2 either way thus rendering them completely useless.
I assume you refer to the markings rather than the switch.

The one which did get me scratching my head:
1701363819214.png
showing how wiring has to be and arrows showing switch operation contacts made.
Of course this was a just job with an immacutely clean low profile chrome switch "It suddenly stopped working. No we haven't changed it." Followed by: "Oh while you're here, could you change this one for us please?" after I'd sussed the format and fixed it. And no there weren't instructions.

I assume you refer to the markings rather than the switch.
Yes. If the markings vary and don't actually mean anything then they are useless.

The one which did get me scratching my head: showing how wiring has to be and arrows showing switch operation contacts made.
View attachment 323343
As is this example.

One cable has conductors A' & B; the other A & B'. How is anyone supposed to know that?

Yes. If the markings vary and don't actually mean anything then they are useless.

As is this example.

One cable has conductors A' & B; the other A & B'. How is anyone supposed to know that?
Particularly as they are diagonally opposite.

My only defence of that would be; for those who remember when switches were a ceramic base with a screw on cover or a castiron enclosure, an intermediate switch (reversing switch) would normally have had a rotary knob rather than a dolly turning a 'plate' with 2 brass contacts which would have linked the horizontal pairs or vertical pairs of static contacts, effectively taking the place of the up arrows or down arrows.
This sort of thing but these are all 1 way.
1701388761877.jpeg
1701379032919.jpeg

Last edited:
Im looking to change our current intermediate switch for a more modern look, but just need to confirm the wiring, You will see from the pictures that the current L1 & L2 connections are located top to bottom, where on the new switch they are side to side. Question as long as I connect the current L1 wires to the new L1, and current L2 to the new L2, will this work and be safe?
xBrito,
I apologies for writing this
BUT
you have only one post, to date !!!

Before you go any further, please ensure that you do have an understanding of how "Multiway Switching" works.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiway_switching has good information but it admits
"This article follows usage in the United States.
Readers in most other countries should read "two-way" or "SPDT" for the United States "three-way"; and
"intermediate", "crossover" or "DPDT" switch for the United States "four-way"."

The "Intermediate/Crossover" switch is a Double Pole Double Throw (DPDT) switch, modified by the manufacturer, as described in the above reference.
(See https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Crossover-switch-symbol.png )

The "Orientation" of the four available terminals concerned is NOT standardized.
Hence, you should check the "Orientation", by means of a multimeter and the two-way "switching" of any such device.
(Since you are undertaking "Electrical Work", you do have a multimeter, don't you ?)

If you connect any such "Intermediate Switch" incorrectly to the "strappers/travelers", you should have no "short circuit" or "safety" problems.
However,
the "set-up" will not operate "as desired", if connected incorrectly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back