Intresting Flue Position

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, just really after some thoughts regarding a planned boiler installation my engineer is doing. I trust the guy as he has done great work for me in the past but this one I'm unsure about. So, Currently I have a massive old Vaillant VC182EH GB and it's sat quite low on the wall. The plan is to fit the new one a bit further up so that access underneath is better and an Adey can be fitted. Now, moving it up presents an interesting problem as where the boiler is fitted is actually a small extension to the back of the property. This means that you cannot move the flue up and neither can you put it through the roof as it would be too close to the building and below the bathroom window. My engineer feels that we can place the flue such that it contains two 90 degrees bends, going over an existing cupboard and out the original wall. It would exit just above an angle and near to the bathroom soil pipe. There would be roughly 200mm from each part of the pipe. I personally am not sure this would meet with the regs but he seems to think it's okay. Thoughts???
20230825_191405.jpg
20230825_191527.jpg
20230825_191536.jpg

Sponsored Links
I'm not really sure, I am no expert but just wondered as there is usually something that you need to be careful of. I do trust him but he can be a bit of a joker with me sometimes so I felt I had to check. He gets the go ahead now then

There’s distances away from certain things, like openings, soil pies and the likes, but manufacturers instructions take precedence. Like I said, looks ok imo.

Sponsored Links
Your installer's proposal is fine. An alternative would be to fit something like an ecoFIT Pure, which has a flue coming off the back rather than off the top. You could then re-use the existing flue hole and the boiler would move up around 250mm.

I'm not really sure, I am no expert but just wondered as there is usually something that you need to be careful of. I do trust him but he can be a bit of a joker with me sometimes so I felt I had to check. He gets the go ahead now then

Who is Gas Safe between the two of you.

To be fair, I understand your concerns, as there’s too many folk coming on here after the event, stating they’ve had a gas safe registered engineer out to do x,y or z and then they’re stuck not knowing what to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back