Is a Belle Mixer worthwhile over a cheaper brand for DIY projects?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just wondered on this. I've been doing DIY project for years, always mixing by hand either in a bucket or in the wheel barrow.

I feel it's finally time to treat myself and fork out for a mixer, particularly since my next project is a other shed base (and a retaining wall to hold it up) to put another shed on that I'll actually be able to store the mixer in.

Anyway, an electric (mains), smaller mixer like the Belle Minimix 130 (currently £430 at Wickes) is what I've got my eye on, but I can see that I could go for a similar sized and powered Draper mixer for about £75 less and so similar sized unbranded mixer at Screwfix and various other place for up too £150 less.

Question is, should I? It's going to get used two or three times a year.

Cheers, Tom.

Sponsored Links
I'm not a brand snob at all normally, but I would (and did) buy the Belle. Mainly because, if you finish with it then you'll be able to sell it for only a bit less than you paid for it.

Also parts are widely available. The cheaper ones are probably disposable, as you may not be able to source parts.

Those Belles are super strong. I've had mine running probably too long at a time while mixing concrete and, despite the gearbox getting hot to the touch, no harm was done.

I built my extension and various other projects around the house/garden using the previous version of this B&Q own brand mixer.

Worked great. Just keep it clean and turn it on before you start loading it with gear.

Make sure you store it out of sight of the road. Neighbour had his stolen from outside his workshop door.

Jobbing builder working down the road had his 'walk' the same day - the mix was dumped out of the drum over the customers drive so not only had he lost his machine he had to clean the drive.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Just wondered on this. I've been doing DIY project for years, always mixing by hand either in a bucket or in the wheel barrow.

I feel it's finally time to treat myself and fork out for a mixer, particularly since my next project is a other shed base (and a retaining wall to hold it up) to put another shed on that I'll actually be able to store the mixer in.

Anyway, an electric (mains), smaller mixer like the Belle Minimix 130 (currently £430 at Wickes) is what I've got my eye on, but I can see that I could go for a similar sized and powered Draper mixer for about £75 less and so similar sized unbranded mixer at Screwfix and various other place for up too £150 less.

Question is, should I? It's going to get used two or three times a year.

Cheers, Tom.
Belle are bomb-proof and won't let you down. We have a couple or orange ones (one on standby) and would never buy anything else. EVER.
Might be a bit OTT for DIY, but I'd be loath to recommend anything else.

Baromix mixers (blue ones) are OK too, and can be equally abused, but I don't think you can get them up on the stand single handedly like with the belles.

Baromix mixers (blue ones) are OK too, and can be equally abused, but I don't think you can get them up on the stand single handedly like with the belles.
I like the fact that guys that work on them can do it blindfold and all spares are freely available. We had an 'incident' with the drum a while back, and replacing it was a doddle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back