Is it safe to drive?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I encountered an issue with my car recently. I parked too far forward in a parking bay, causing the front of the car to go over a curb. When I returned and reversed out, the bottom of my bumper got caught and was partially pulled off. I initially considered calling RAC to tow my car home, but when the technician arrived, he said there was no structural damage—just cosmetic (radiator was fine, lights were working, etc.). So, instead of paying for a tow, I managed to pop the sides back in and drove it home myself. However, some of the clips broke off when I had originally reversed, leaving each side of the bumper now being held on by only one clip.

I drove it home, keeping a slow speed with my partner following me. This was just to get it home because, initially, the insurance company wanted to write it off without even assessing the damage.

My question is, Is it safe to drive my car in this condition, or does the bumper need to be replaced immediately? I'm short on money and would prefer to avoid using my credit card unless absolutely necessary.

Car is a Vauxhall Corsa 2008, automatic.

Attachments

• IMG_3818.jpeg
    IMG_3818.jpeg
    656 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_3816.jpeg
    IMG_3816.jpeg
    364.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3817.jpeg
    IMG_3817.jpeg
    388.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_3836.jpeg
    IMG_3836.jpeg
    497.1 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_3837.jpeg
    IMG_3837.jpeg
    587.7 KB · Views: 78
Sponsored Links
I think not, because parts may fall off while you are driving it and cause a hazard. Also it has sharp edges that could injure a pedestrian or cyclist.

Are you near Colchester?

Boudicca_Statue,_Westminster_(Southwest_View_-_01).jpg

Not safe to drive as it is.

Any local garage can do a secure "temporary" repair without much cost if you are OK with how it looks cosmetically

You've tucked the bumper back into place really well!
The question is.....how secure is it? Is it likely to start flapping about again?
Plastic cable ties are often used in situations like this.
At the end of the day, it will probably need a replacement bumper as the securing lugs are likely to have been smashed off......breakers or Ebay could help here.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Not safe to drive as it is.

Any local garage can do a secure "temporary" repair without much cost if you are OK with how it looks cosmetically

Thank you for you reply, what kind of temporary repair do they do / cost? Cosmetics are fine for me, it’s just about getting from A to B for work :)

You've tucked the bumper back into place really well!
The question is.....how secure is it? Is it likely to start flapping about again?
Plastic cable ties are often used in situations like this.
At the end of the day, it will probably need a replacement bumper as the securing lugs are likely to have been smashed off......breakers or Ebay could help here.

Thank you John !

I’m not too sure how secure it is, it’s being held on (from what I can tell) by only one clip or two on each side. If I give it a wobble it doesn’t particularly move, but I’m worried if I go over a bump then it’ll fly off lol.

The side lugs have definitely come off. Might it be worth me drilling a new hole on each side and using new ones?

Thank you for you reply, what kind of temporary repair do they do / cost? Cosmetics are fine for me, it’s just about getting from A to B for work :)
depends on what you want, but just securing the bumper. Either hidden fixings or not so hidden

Personally I'd remove both front wheels and the wheel arch liners. This should give access to the bumper fixings. Then, it's a case of bodging what you can with nuts and bolts maybe, cable ties (large ones) or anything that gives a reasonable fixing.

You need to think where you are going with this - insurance will definitely write it off (and have probably already put a marker of an accident on your record as you've notified them). Otherwise take it to a back street body shop (the sort with loads of taxis outside) and see what they think - either they'll be able to patch it back up as a long term repair or they'll fit a used one - they may source one or you could get one on eBay - you'll need to find your paint code, don't buy one that's the wrong colour, there may be different versions - eg with/without fog lights etc so be careful.

The new polymere adhesives are great for holding bumpers. Looks like those red fixings are the original holding points. If you dont care and just want it fixed in place I would slather those fixings in polymere adhesive, shove it back in tight and hold in place with gaffer tape for 24 hours. Slap a couple of self tappers in behind where it can help to hold to the supporting structure.

My BMW bumper is held in place on one side by polymere as the original lugs are shot. Just make sure its secure before driving.

I also jammed a piece of wood against the bumper to hold it in place while it set.

Last edited:
I have had this happen to me several times with my Vectra and whilst several of the clips along the bonnet-line have broken , there remain several unbroken which I have pushed back into position. You can use self-tapping screws ( maybe with large washers ) in most places. Following the first incident about two years ago, I have driven thousands of miles without any problem ( no subsequent loosening )

If you want extra safety without regard to cosmetics, you could use a couple of bungee cords.

Sponsored Links
Back