Is there a minimum height for ceiling lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Very low ceiling in room, current pendant lamps are at eye level.

If I put ceiling downlighters in, are there any regulations that say they must be at least 12" (or whatever) above a 6' person .... or anything similar?

ta for advice

Sponsored Links
I doubt it. There are guidelines for housebuilding which include things like the quality of finish on walls and ceilings, they probably suggest something similar to what you say, but it isn't a regulation.

All the regulations favour those of restricted height. The thinking is that a very tall person can lean down a bit to reach a doorknob or lightswitch, but a short person in a wheelchair can hardly bunnyhop up to it. :D

The main issue here is, will it annoy you or your family? If you are all 5 foot then it is unlikely you are going to burn your scalps on them. I doubt it would affect resale value, really tall people would probably be more concerned with the low ceiling than the lights. If anything, the downlighters are safer than a pendant: everytime I bang my head against a swinging light the first concern is that the bulb will shatter in my face. :eek:

I believe there are regulations regarding dichroic halogen lights, due to the amount of UV radiation they kick out, I've had a quick trawl, but I can't find what they are exactly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back